The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new guy on here. I am not new to watches having been a watchmaker for close to 40 yrs. I am semi-retired at this point and have recently(the past two years) been collecting Seikos. My log on is accutronner, and have been collecting and restoring them since their release. I have found that finding parts for the more collectible models is more challenging than the actual job of repair. My most recent project is a 6105-8119 that fell in my lap so to speak. Its a long story, and if you are interested you can PM me. When I found out what it was, I was a very lucky guy that day, I was going to restore for my personal use, and as such was going to overhaul, fit sapphire crystal and gaskets and put on a ballistic strap and call it a day. Now that my circumstances have changed and need to sell, I was hoping I could get advice on restoring for sale. After cleaning and restoration the watch would rate easily a 90% conservatively. Finished on the wrist it would look new. What I need help with, is for sale would it make a difference if I just go ahead with the sapphire and the strap, or should I try to find a NOS crystal and waffle strap. Which changes would bring a better return? I know how particular collectors feel about OEM as apposed to restoration, no matter how well it is done. So, any advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone here on the forum has or supplies parts, I would show them preference instead of someone on ebay. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am assuming that the dial and hands are original and in good condition, and that you only restored the movement. I really don't believe the crystal being OEM or sapphire will dramatically alter the value, either should work great and if you have a correct sapphire crystal many will appreciate the durability, not many get hung up on the crystal being OEM. The strap, a reproduction waffle will work fine or even a NATO strap, I wouldn't source out an original waffle, some original waffles tend to be a bit fragile. The value of the watch will be essentially determined by the condition and appearance of the original hands, dial, the case and the working condition.
So, to answer your question, go ahead with the crystal and the strap.
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and info. Sorry I didn't get right back to you, but I got tied up getting rid of a kidney stone. The 8119 might turn out to be difficult to sell, it has turned out so nice. Resto the movement to me just means to tear down, inspect, clean, reassemble and oil. The movement is near 100% as from Seiko. The Dial is original and only shows those tell tale black spots under a loupe. The hands are original I believe and the lum has turned about 50% black. I am considering re-lum, and have some tritium on hand. The case shows almost no wear and I believe it has its original finish. I could polish off all marks, but have decided that a 90-95% unmolested case with sharp lines is better than a polished one with the edges smoothed. I took your advice and have purchased a sapphire with blue coating and a supposedly correct Hardlex? repo. I also purchase a Nato, a waffle repo, and a stainless wire link diver. If I keep it, I will wear the sapphire and Nato/stainless and keep the waffle if I sell it. That way I can offer a prospective buyer the choice or all of the above. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts