The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I have had on my bench for a while but finally got it finished yesterday for the owner.

Sorry but no movement work pictures this time as I thought they’d be like “Groundhog Day” for a number of folks here. I wish I had as it had a few issues to resolve that may have been of interest.

Here is how it arrived
3C36B40C-DA57-4DA9-9D12-1721F65435B6.jpeg

Stripped the case, movement was then completely dissembled for cleaning / inspection.
C0445A91-C843-4FDF-A229-286C2E7B794F.jpeg
Issues found - centre wheel worn (replaced with new), barrel arbor jewelled top / bottom, and jewelled fourth wheel at the bridge. Second hand balance fitted, mainspring serviced etc.
So this where I come clean and say I got a second prize, and an expensive one for me personally. When you‘re getting tired don’t attempt the crown gasket change on one of these - that’s all I’ll say🤬. I had to source a good original replacement. These crowns are not designed to be serviceable and need be deconstructed to change the seal. Seal changed.

Dial lume stripped ready for relume. Seiko logo to be changed but hands badly corroded so set aside to see if they can be recovered some day.
A217686B-C8C8-4329-BEF9-E4F8C73D48E6.jpeg

Case reworked (mainly by hand), crystal and gasket replaced and relumed dial / hands / movement back together.
Here is how it turned out.....
39701B34-1835-4AB2-B3ED-D33D4E73C7B3.jpeg 1F6CF1FE-AE55-45D8-960A-AF6EF3EC0A05.jpeg 59212182-97FD-464C-AAFC-1973B6F7276B.jpeg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Something I have had on my bench for a while but finally got it finished yesterday for the owner.

Sorry but no movement work pictures this time as I thought they’d be like “Groundhog Day” for a number of folks here. I wish I had as it had a few issues to resolve that may have been of interest.

Here is how it arrived
View attachment 465489

Stripped the case, movement was then completely dissembled for cleaning / inspection.
View attachment 465490
Issues found - centre wheel worn (replaced with new), barrel arbor jewelled top / bottom, and jewelled fourth wheel at the bridge. Second hand balance fitted, mainspring serviced etc.
So this where I come clean and say I got a second prize, and an expensive one for me personally. When you‘re getting tired don’t attempt the crown gasket change on one of these - that’s all I’ll say🤬. I had to source a good original replacement. These crowns are not designed to be serviceable and need be deconstructed to change the seal. Seal changed.

Dial lume stripped ready for relume. Seiko logo to be changed but hands badly corroded so set aside to see if they can be recovered some day.
View attachment 465491

Case reworked (mainly by hand), crystal and gasket replaced and relumed dial / hands / movement back together.
Here is how it turned out.....
View attachment 465495 View attachment 465496 View attachment 465497
Nice work! This is a truely good looking watch and restoring it back to its lost glory must be a satisfying experience.

Now, a question for which the answer eludes me, why not upgrade the movement to nh36 (or even a ne15)? With a small mod to its date wheel it can be done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work! This is a truely good looking watch and restoring it back to its lost glory must be a satisfying experience.

Now, a question for which the answer eludes me, why not upgrade the movement to nh36 (or even a ne15)? With a small mod to its date wheel it can be done.
Thank you and to all those who posted earlier with such positive comments

Let me try and answer your question if I may. Simply the difference between sympathetic restoration of a classic and modification. The work involved is driven by the outcome you desire. Some may consider this a viable upgrade (change to NH36) whilst others would see this as sacrilege and not an upgrade at all.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Bravo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
32,064 Posts
Mods are all well and good but I think for a nice watch like that one keeping it all original is the only way to go (imo) but each to his own.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

well there is a great reason why not "Upgrade this"....
it would not be a upgrade and would ruin any value and usability it has as a easy to use grab and go watch
i do agree i love the idea about a hand winding older Seiko
and there is a member here who did one on a 6105 800x series watch with i think a GS movt in it
these were made to last a lifetime and they will more than likely outlast us if treated as they deserve
it would be like trying to put a chevy engine in a Ferrari....
you might be able to do it .....
but WHY?
sometimes staying original is the only way to go
just my 2 cents
God Bless,John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts