The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This is my ultimate vintage diver.!! It has been completely rebuilt and is (IMO) perfection...

It all started when Russell I sent me his 6105-8000 with manual wind conversion to test drive for a couple of weeks. It only took a day and I was hooked... it was to be another year or so before my own project got going...

To start with I needed a ‘donor’ 6105-8000 so when I found one that ticked the boxes…hacking 6105B, nice untouched dial and a nice case. I grabbed it. I had over time managed to stock up on the other important parts... NOS bezel, NOS crown, and one of Jonathans perfect crystals...

The 6105B movement was sent to Pete K to start his magic on the rebuild and the case and other parts went over to Jack (IWW)
Jack did an incredible job cleaning and polishing the case to perfection, crystal installed, new gaskets all round and the case was finished.

A few months later and Pete had fully rebuilt the movement, adding further 4 jewels to the already 17j 6105 movement and also completing the all important manual winding conversion. The finished movement is incredible it feels so tough yet when winding the crown it feels like silk. The time keeping is better than my Marine Master, so we’re talking near perfect accuracy. Pete’s attention to detail is exact, a true perfectionist.

The original donor watch was a July 1970 proof/resist (must be one of the last 8000 cased proofs?). A set of NOS hands were added but for some reason the ‘resist’ dial just didn’t sit well with me, this watch being such an important part of my collection I set out to find another 6105-8000 with a nice ‘proof’ dial to swap over. Pete did the dial swap and the finished watch is awesome and a credit to Pete and Jack both true masters in the watch making world.

I managed to find a near new (and of course original) waffle strap to complete the watch. While I’m still not sure if the strap will be worn regularly it does look great.

A few people that I’d like to thank
Pete K
Russell I (seikozen)
Jack A
Jonathan

So I hope you all like the watch that I have called ‘the MASTERPIECE’ as much as I do, thanks for reading, Clayton.

The original donor watch as I received it

The second dial donor watch I chased down for the perfect PROOF dial
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/seikodiver/P5145593donorwatchsml.jpg
A look at Jacks awesome case refinishing.

A glimpse under the hood at Pete’s magic
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/seikodiver/SN855813sml.jpg
The finished watch.

The original waffle strap

Perfection
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/seikodiver/3P6055737sml.jpg

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Well Clayton that must be the ULTIMATE 8000 it looks truly superb, just shows what can be achieved with dedication (and $$$ ?), top watch men and good friends.

Really impressive :) :) 8)

ps: Does the crown now have three positions, wind,date and hands.

·
Registered
964 Posts
What a great job!
Thanks for sharing.

Even I'm not a divers type, I love that recovery!
That's what it's all about - thanks!

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Great job Clayton, as always, top class work and an absolutely stunning 8000.

Congrats and wear it, and all your other beauties always in the best of health....

AJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congratulations Clayton.
Some big names behind that one plus many hours yourself sourcing exactly what you wanted.
A real beauty.
I reckon I'd be delighted with the "spares" watch ;) Sharing is caring!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow! Fantastic effort, Clayton! ;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hi
Think about this, YOU know how you fell having this watch, you know that so many of us LOVE in Deep ways 6105-800Xs and 6105-811Xs and 99% of the time
we can you can post your Collection and Know there are others that have Comparable Stunning 6105s and we can all relate with the Quality and Specialness
of each others Top Shelf 6105s
Like for me besides yours Patrick that has the NOS 6105-8110-1978 or Mike M or Spencer Mole and on and on I never get tiered of seeing them, and can Relate.

But when I had my First 6105-8000 Gift from Pete, I had no one to relate to, there was no way, I could Share what it really was like, to look down and Know this watch
keeps 2 to 4 secs a day hacks and Winds like my 6146-8040-NOS GS and it's my 6105-8000

The gift is mine, sending her to you , was my Gift I Knew w/o a Doubt you would absolutely see and feel what I do, and Hopefully Pete would be willing to make ONE MORE.

What never has been mentioned yet, is the Parts needed to make this conversion are so Scarce That Randall Dr SEIKO ,could only offer a few at a time every few years., when making his Hot Watch, That I am Honored to also Own one of his 6105-8110 Winding Trip lock GORGEOUS piece of ART.That Runs at 2 secs a day just Amazing, but a Different Story.

It was not like the parts were just able to be ordered there may be other ways?? I don't know that but to keep the 6105 Mvt I am almost sure almost, the parts are Impossible to get.

POINT Because you have the Masterpiece or P#3 M#1 we can talk about the watch, this IMHO is one of the Great things about this Forum we Share like minded Love
of certain watches
The Tuna heads The Aqua lung Chaps the Orient Star Lovers the Rally Divers G Men 6309-704Xs and for many of us the 6105s

But till you had yours, my Experience was limited to talk to Pete who Made her SO Thank YOU for not only being the Owner of this special watch, but for taking
it to the HIGHEST level I could have imagined, She is a Beautiful Example of the 6105-8000 that for me is MY Wrist Mate, and that takes nothing away
from my Love for the 6105-811X

This tale will con't. when Tiger John, says it's OK for me to send P#1 for him to test drive LOL

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for the replies. John the crown winds when it's fully closed..just turn it clock wise to wind it up, a great feeling a 6105!! I was so lucky to have Pete agree to make one more winder movement, as Russell said the parts are so hard to find and the work that goes into them is incredible, the skill level needed is just awesome, a true master craftsman..Clayton

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
MASTERPIECE is a fitting definition of this classic. WOW, what a fantastic restoration.
It can not possibly get any better than a NOS that was found untouched in some timecapsule.

Great work, and fine example of dedication of a true purist.
Glad you shared this one.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm out of words for what you presented here, Clayton. Really. Stunning hardly begins to describe what I just saw in pics. Gosh, how I love diver's! Pics like these help me to answer to myself why oh why I love'em so much!

Congratulation for the patience on the overall hunt, man. From the base watch to the last final part, I'm absolutely sure it was a far from easy task.And the gathering of the men you managed to join forces on the resto is pretty much alike getting Sinatra, Sammy and Dean to perform together @ The Desert Inn or Flamingo. A true feat in itself, thus making this watch all the more special.

Enjoy it endlessly, buddy! Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Regards,
CHRIS

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is a beaut indeed...I never thought I would but I'm starting to like this case over the 8110...admirable endurance on your part to strife for such a perfect specimen.

Kind regards,
Ferdinand

1 - 20 of 25 Posts