The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 6105-8000 proof/proof June of 1968. Have wanted one for a while and probably spent more than I should have. It needs a crystal but other than that it looks good and has been keeping excellent time.

Sorry about the bad pictures will try to get some better ones.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Very nice. I don't know about paying too much, these 6105-8000 watches will do nothing but go up in value. Find a nice band from WJean and you're set! Now on to the 6105-8009, 6105-8110, 6105-8119......

D.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Reinking,

This looks like a nice example of an 8000 proof-proof. The only observations I can add to this are the minute and hour hands. They look like they might be seiko service replacements which are seen from time to time on the 6105s.

Otherwise very nice. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. Any place to get a new crystal?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It seems that the 6105-8110/9 tend to command higher prices. Is this because of the additional features or iconic appeal or have I just been watching the wrong sales?

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lume looks the same on tha hands as the dial, what are the keys to look for on the hands to determine if they are a replacement?

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
The lume looks the same on tha hands as the dial, what are the keys to look for on the hands to determine if they are a replacement?

Thanks
The tell tale hallmark is the minute hand. It is slightly narrower and the lume does not continue toward the end. The original is slightly fatter and it has more lume area near end.

I am not sure about the hour hand by the pic.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, thank you for the info. Hope that it does not hurt the price too much.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It seems that the 6105-8110/9 tend to command higher prices. Is this because of the additional features or iconic appeal or have I just been watching the wrong sales?

Thanks
You're right. The asymmetrical 811x is more iconic and usually commands a higher price for like-condition.

For reference, here are a pair of my 6105s together:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to Shawn and Spencer at Klein Vintage Watch Repair I have a new crystal on its way. Should restorstion be don or keep as is, what is the conventional wisdom?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts