The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I bought a 6105-8000 that was missing the bezel assembly. John (TigerUK) was very kind to sell me a bezel and retaining ring and it fits perfect. Many Thanks John! I have been searching for a bezel insert and always like to use originals but I don't think original inserts in great shape turn up very often. I have decided to go ahead and try to find a suitable aftermarket insert.

I understand the 8000 insert is different (a bit smaller) than the 8110 insert. I contacted Harold (Yobokies) and he says he doesn't make a 8000 insert and suggested using one of his 8110 aftermarket inserts and filing it down a bit to fit. Has anyone filed down one of Harold's 8110 inserts and does it look OK with a 8000? Any suggestions on where to buy a bezel insert that will work and look good would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kyle

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi Kyle, The 6105-800x insert is approx 1mm smaller in diameter than the 6105-811x, it's also a different texture and finish. The rough diameters are 38.1mm for the larger 811x case and 37.1mm for the 800x case. I have found in the past that even an original skx007 insert can be sanded down and look quite nice.. To sand down just put 2 fingers inside the insert and roll the insert over the fine grit paper, being sure to keep the strokes even and consistent over the complete insert diameter.. stopping to measure with verniers. I think Harold will be ableto help you out with the inserts. Good luck, Clayton

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the information on the bezel insert. Never thought to use a SKX Insert but filed down I can see how it would work. Only concern with an SKX Insert is the lume dot is smaller than the 6105-8110 insert. Thanks again!!!

kyle

·
Special Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is works for Clayton...it is OK with me. Decided to try Clayton's approach and it worked perfectly. Used a SKX bezel Insert and carefully sanded down the outside diameter to fit the 8000 bezel. Popped it in and I think it looks pretty good. Many Thanks....and Many Thanks to John for the Bezel. With a good looking Bezel Assembly the 6105-8000 is moving right along....Later today I am going to put in a correct pip dot and then its off for a relume of the dial, hands, and dot.

Thanks again for all your advice and assistance!

6105-8000 Bezel with SKX Bezel Insert. Outer Diameter of the SKX Insert was filed down to fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat now. I thought I got a good deal on early 1968 6105 8000 not knowing that the bezel and insert was smaller than the later 6105s. I've got the bezel but its missing the insert and as I've been told Seiko never offered just insert and its been obsolete for over 30 years. Any help or advice? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts