The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, new to the forum and just purchased my first Seiko. It's a KS Hi Beat 5625 7111. I opened the case back to admire/take a few pics of the movement. Accidentally tilted the case and the steel ring that runs the circumference of the movement dislodged. (Dont know the proper term for this part - lock ring? Retaining ring? Case retaining ring???).

I reseated the ring in what I thought was the correct orientation. When I replaced the caseback I noticed a clincking noise when I flip or shake the watch. I've had several autos and realize that the rotor will make some noise but I'm pretty sure this isn't that. It's sounds like the rotor or some part of the movement is hitting the case back/inside of case. Also, when I pull the crown to the time set position, the dial slightly moves inside the case.

Don't know if it was something i did when I opened the caseback or if it was like this all along...just got the watch a couple days ago. My guess is that the movement is loose in the case and not properly secured and its related to the retaining ring.

So what exactly exactly secures the movement and what should I check for. I've included pics of the movement as it is now...does it look like the ring is seated in the proper position?

I'm a total amatuer when it come to any type of watch repair or trouble shooting so I appreciate any advice you can give. Tried searching for the answer but didnt have much luck. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Looking at your photo the broken rusted tab of the flat spring washer can be seen to the left of the crown. This flat steel spring washer should go all the way around the movement ring. This part is not available but a thin piece of wire will do or a used replacement from a parts watch.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Take the "flat spring washer" off the movement ring, refit the movement ring, put back on and give it a try. I find the flat spring washers make almost no difference to retaining the movement in the watches.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Take the "flat spring washer" off the movement ring, refit the movement ring, put back on and give it a try. I find the flat spring washers make almost no difference to retaining the movement in the watches.

You need the flat spring washer otherwise the case back will be even closer to the rotor and its there to stop the movement moving. Sometimes if you use a thinner case back gasket and the tolerances with the rotor are good you can remove the spring which I have done on 6309's. When I say remove I mean it was missing and I made do!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, good eyes guys! I reexamined the movement ring and now see where the flat spring is missing. Would have never noticed that. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try the wire fix and see if that sorts it out. Should there be a rubber caseback gasket? if so, its missing that too. Thanks a million!

By the way, I assume this watch can be manually wound like other autos. Which crown position and direction to achieve this? I tried manually winding it from a complete stop. It powers up only when advancing the hands or date wheel. Is this correct?

Thanks again for the education....

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Damn, good eyes guys! I reexamined the movement ring and now see where the flat spring is missing. Would have never noticed that. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try the wire fix and see if that sorts it out. Should there be a rubber caseback gasket? if so, its missing that too. Thanks a million!

By the way, I assume this watch can be manually wound like other autos. Which crown position and direction to achieve this? I tried manually winding it from a complete stop. It powers up only when advancing the hands or date wheel. Is this correct?

Thanks again for the education....

I'm a watchmaker, I do a lot of Seikos. I find (as I stated above) that the extra ring isn't needed. Try it without the ring and see - easier than making up a wire - which won't look original etc.

This model of Seiko can be manually wound but most Seiko autos can't be.
There may be a blockage if it only goes when moving the hands.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
It should wind with the crown fully in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paul, thanks for the reply. I tried it without the extra ring but the movement still seems quite loose in the case. I can hear it rattle when i flip the case or gently shake it (and i'm fairly certain its not just the rotor spin i'm hearing).

When i hand wind it with the crown fully in I can hear what sounds like gears turning but it doesnt seem to power up. Also, with the crown fully in it will only wind counter clockwise, if I try to wind it clockwise I feel resistance... . Is this the correct crown position to hand wind it?

Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7s2b,

Just saw your post. It does wind with the crown full in but only in a counter clockwise direction. It sounds as if it should be winding because i can hear a "whiring" type noise, but it doesnt seem to power up.

And thanks a ton for the reply...hopefully I can get this thing sorted. Might just have to bite the bullet and get it serviced

·
Registered
4,931 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update....used a thin gauge wire around the movement ring and that seemed to cure the loose movement problem. I'll go with this until I can source the proper replacement. As for the winding issue, hand winding does not supply power to the watch. The saga continues....

Thanks to everyone for the advice and information

-Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts