The Watch Site banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stripping and cleaning my first 5606 and would like to confirm the correct treatment for the bridge cap jewels for the third and escape wheels with regards to oiling. I note that the tech sheet identifies oiling with Moebius Synt-A-Lube from the underside with no mention of disassembling the jewel setting.
Is the jewel setting left in place for this type of cap jewel with only a clean with solvent and pegwood the hole?
I'm hoping this is the case.

If the shock spring is to required be removed for any reason is there a technique for removal that limits the potential for loss of the spring? With no release notch for the spring, as per the Diashock, it looks a little challenging to get out and more so to get back in.

Thanks
Rob
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Nickel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi

There are a few videos on YouTube showing how to open the clip to extract the jewel for cleaning and oiling.

I must admit after loosing the clip to the carpet monster on the first one I encountered I now just oil from the other side and don't even attempt to open the clip.

One day I am sure I will try again.

Paul

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I must admit after loosing the clip to the carpet monster on the first one I encountered I now just oil from the other side and don't even attempt to open the clip.
Yes best solution for this is to try and do it in a clear a plastic bag.
Difficult to do in a bag but saves the clip from going to far when flying off.
Warning! Just don't put your head in a large bag and suffocate!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just picturing me, and the microscope in a very large bag so nothing gets lost :cool:

·
Craftsman
1,983 Posts
I oil these cap jewels with Moebius 9010. I remove the cap jewels for leaning and reinstall. There are different techniques for oiling these jewels. I like to oil them outside the setting and put them in place and slide the retaining spring back into place. Others will say, just run the bridge through the cleaning cycle and use an automatic oiler (Bergeon 1A) to oil the jewels in place. My method is a lot more technically difficult to execute but it give me the result I want.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the inputs. I took the soft option at this point and oiled from the underside without removing the spring and cap jewel.

This particular case (7320) has the faceted crystal (300VB0GCSF) which has seen better days. I have tried polishing out the dings but it really needs replacing.

Does anyone have a lead for sourcing this crystal?

Thanks
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts