The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a watch I have been desperate to find for some time!

A King Seiko Special Chronometer with the 5246 movement, but with the 6010 case rather than the more common 6000.

It has very similar case lines to the 5256-8010, 5246-7000 and 5246-6060 (also rare watches), although unlike those came with a brushed finish to lugs. Not sure if this one has ever been refinished or not (the lines aren't razor sharp but that may be an intended accompaniment/result of the brushed look), but if so it's been very well done.

One thing that isn't apparent from photos is that this is a pretty small watch, about 1mm smaller in all dimensions than even the other automatic King Seikos, including my 5256-8010. That watch uses exactly the same hands, but I hadn't been certain of that until I had the watches side by side, as the slightly smaller dial on the 5246-6010 makes them look longer!

I LOVE the instant day & date change, a feature of the 5246 movement that was abandoned in the later 5256. It's blindingly fast - you actually can't see it move it is so quick, it just clicks and it's there! Mildly frustratingly, mine clicks over at two and a half minutes before midnight - if I could safely remove the crystal I would slightly reposition the minute hand to make it exact.

Just as a matter of interest, how common is this type of instant day/date change in mechanical watches in general? Did other brands have something similar or was it unique to Seiko?

The watch has a one-piece case with a regulating screw between the lugs. Unlike the one-piece 52xx series King Seikos the crystal is acrylic and still held firmly in place with a tension ring after the bezel is removed. I gather that the correct tool to remove and install the crystal is the Seiko S-14 one-piece case opener. In the lack of one of those, is there another safe way to do it?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Just as a matter of interest, how common is this type of instant day/date change in mechanical watches in general? Did other brands have something similar or was it unique to Seiko?
Congrats! Very nice 52KS. The last of SEIKO great mechanical movements from 1970s before all the GS and KS switched to quartz.

About the instant day/date change, not sure about other brand. But you can find the same system in the SEIKOMATIC-P cal. 5106.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments!

Yes, it seems as if some other brands' watches also have the instant day/date change (even some Rolexes I have just read), but it requires extra mechanical complexity and is nice rather than necessary, which I guess is why Seiko abandoed it in the 5255/5256 and 4s movements.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Congrats - love these Special Hi-Beats.

After a years of looking I found this 5245-7000 a few months ago:

Can't tell if the handset is the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, that's a beauty! From various pictures I've seen it looks like the hands on the 524x-7000 and 6060 are the same except with white rather than black painted central lines. Is the face about 27mm across? Many of the other KS models are nearer 28mm.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Fantastic pieces gents, many thanks for sharing!

Apart from the 524x-6000, the calibre 52 chronometers are all exceptionally rare, AFAIK from my caseback data the -6060 and -7000 models were only built in a low 4-digit number (nothing for a Seiko...).

@ neeb: if I may say so I am pretty confident that the case on your watch has been refinished - but to original specs and in a very nice way, IMO.

@ estricksland: that -7000 is just mouthwatering but PLEASE do something about the end links :)

Best,
Hermann

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nice watch :) The instant date/day change is a cool feature - here are a couple of models where Citizen used it, it's needed when the day and date share the same window:

Seven Star V2:

Leopard:

Stephen

·
Registered
17 Posts
@Neeb : i am unable to see the pics. i can see the ones posted by Estrickland.

i am craving for a KS/GS for some time now. can you refer to the place you bought this from. maybe i can go fishing too...

looking forward to see em pictures.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ neeb: if I may say so I am pretty confident that the case on your watch has been refinished - but to original specs and in a very nice way, IMO.
Yes, that is what I am now assuming - it's not that easy to tell because there are so few photos of the same model to compare with! I notice that you posted some pictures of one of your own a couple of years ago and the angles look a little sharper on that, but the lighting is always a factor. In any case, as you imply in your post about the same watch, it is such a difficult model to get hold of you have to take what you can get! ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
@Neeb : i am unable to see the pics. i can see the ones posted by Estrickland.

i am craving for a KS/GS for some time now. can you refer to the place you bought this from. maybe i can go fishing too...

looking forward to see em pictures.
Mine came from Yahoo Japan via an intermediary service. An expensive business as they charge commission etc.. And even on Yahoo Japan this model comes up rather rarely.

That's odd that you can't see the pictures. Anyone else having that problem? They are hosted in my Dropbox public folder. If you paste this URL directly into your browser do you see a picture?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51439212/5246-6010/6010_2.jpg

(You may have to right click and "copy link" to get the full version - or just click on it.. ;-))

1 - 20 of 35 Posts