The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I undertook this more as a practice watch for a 6217 that I plan on restoring where somebody had removed all the chrome from the hour batons, I just didn't want to dive in and make a mistake on that watch but I had a 5126-6030 that was nice but was suffering the same fate. Someone probably at some point in the past had scraped all the chrome off the hour markers, most likely to remove the lume fuzz leaving the watch with an odd set of brass markers.
As I use to build plastic model cars, one of the things I use to do to make certain parts more realistically metal looking was to cover them in a product called Bare Metal Foil, so I reached into the parts bin and grabbed some and set about the task of covering each of the hour markers in a chrome foil.

I forgot to take a picture before I started, but I did get one when I was half way through, hopefully it is obvious which half I have done, sorry I am not a better picture taker ???

And heres a quick shot when complete (and before I cleaned the dial to remove other marks.

I think it turned out looking pretty stock, what do you guys think? I used a chrome finish on this one, but may you use a slightly more matt aluminum finish on the 6217-8000..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: 5126-6030 Dial Restoration - What do you think?

hi... how do you actually put on the silver onto the hour marker? i am think of do it on my 6105, which turn black ... thank you... O:)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

I like it. Looks good but still has an aged look to it.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks, I didn't relume it for that very purpose. The one thing I did learn from this though is that I am going to have to polish the hour batons on the 6217 to be perfectly flat before I lay this foil down as it picks up every single detail of the surface. If it is not perfectly flat, the reflectivity of the material is diminished a little. I will post some pictures when I put the watch back together this evening that will be a little more in focus.

nhoJ said:
I like it. Looks good but still has an aged look to it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

Now that's something I didn't think was possible, using BMF on the marks. Interesting for sure!

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

OK, so here she is all put back together. Have to say I am pretty happy with this one. I think the dial turned out really well, I had to repaint the seconds hand but along with the NOS bezel I was able to locate I think she looks almost perfect. Still looking for an original bracelet to finish her off...

What do you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts