The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you guys know I like Sportdivers My favorites are those old 6106 sport divers from the late 60's and early 70's, followed by their 6119 replacements. This infatuation started many years ago when I purchased my first sportdiver, this beautiful 6106-7107, which was lovingly restored by Ken Setser:

Soon after that watch I also came across this Awesome 6106-6439 with a starburst yellow dial, green markers and a green acrylic bezel insert. This one was also restored by ken with a little help from John Reineke.

That set me on my way, and over the years I've collected more sports divers than I care to admit (though there are still many more that I would love to get my hands on).

Looking into other varieties I quickly found out that there were 6106 and later 6119 versions of this sportdiver family, with minor differences between them. For me the 6106's were prefered only because they had the hacking movement and because most of them came without the 5 logo. I found these watches with dials in brown, orange, and black. It was not to hard to find a brown 6119-6400 and a matching orange 6119-6400. I didn't care for the black bezels seiko had saddled them with, so with Lew Brown and Swedefreak's help, I restored them and had their inserts changed to match their dial colors (yes the mod is a hundred percent reversible, but I doubt anyone would want to do that).

As these were being assembled, out of left field came a modern reproduction of the latter 6119 sushi roller divers which used the case of the 6106-7107 above. This one was a really rare 7S36-006A with a brown starburst dial from 1997. To this day it is the only one like it I have ever seen. Sadly it is still in need of restoration:

As of the arrival of that last piece my collection of this sportdiver family looked like this:

This still left a whole. I wanted the black version of these watches, but I didn't want the common 6119 variant. I wanted the far rarer 6106 variant (that movement again). Not only was that one hard to find, but the infrequent times one would come up, they were usually either in horrible condition, butchered by some back alley watch chopper, or in nice condition but selling for far more than I was willing to pay. The search for just the right piece for just the right price went on for a bit over four long years. until one day I spotted a badly pictured, poorly described auction showing excatly what I was looking for and with a BIN. I paid the BIN (the price was right) and soon thereafter received the watch. It needed work, but was in far better condition than I would have hoped. Soon, I was having a reissue razor bracelet modified to fit it (thanks Harold), and Lew brown was kind enough to give it a once over. It then went off to Swedefreak who gave it some some very tender loving care (and who showed me an incredible act of friendship in the process). Well a few days ago a box arrived from Jonathan and in it was the end of five years of work. Ladies and gentlemen allow me to introduce you to the fully restored black dialed 6106-6430 Sport diver from December 1970:

Now my little collection is as complete as I want to make it (no I'm not looking for the brown or black 6119 versions or the funky brown variant that is not a sport diver). Here what the gang looks like today:

Hmmm... I think I'm starting to get an inkling for sushi rollers... :p

Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Congrats, Gabe!

Would you mind to post some wrist shots of them?
I like that design - not as a daily watch, though, but if you have that late 60's early 70's spirit in yourself in the morning, they are perfect!

Cheers,

Axel ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
A bit OT: what is funny, is that the "5" was a marketing tool of Seiko to create a higher value of a watch - I prefer the non "5" Seikos now (speaking about the same quality of course), even if in old catalouges they were cheaper.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
215 Posts
Top notch, great looker. Nice read, and congrats!

I don't know a lot about them, but I saw a y2000(?) re-issue Sushi in metallic orange on the TP, about three weeks ago and had to ogle the pics about a dozen times before I went to bed. Very tempting. The markers remind me of Liquourice Allsorts, personally.
(Try Googling - Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts - I can feel a birthday cake coming on, if not a real watch)......

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Fantastic!

The set looks absolutely beautiful! You should get them a special presentation box with glass cover.

·
Registered
994 Posts
:eek: Those are great Gabe. I have been looking at those myself. I need to finish my Rally Diver collection before I start on the those large case Sports Divers.

Derek

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Its always interesting to see a coherent collection, and to hear the thoughts behind it. Funky watches from a funky time 8)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Great read, Gabe, and a beautiful set. The last one, the black dial, is the crowning glory. I can see why you were so intent on getting it, and getting it restored.

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's a perfect group, Gabe, congrats on your great find.
I look at those and smile, the design is so... different than what we see in today's divers.
Much more boldness and freedom, free of too complicated marketing strategies.

Here is my battered 6119 diver, found and not yet fully restored, no where near your 6106-6430

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Fantastic collection. Your perseverance pays off.
Great work on the restoration. Top notch. ;)
Nice pics to make us all drool once again.

Cheers and enjoy those lovely gems.
Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
:p go Gabe they look amazing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fantastic find Gabe. That watch is the best looker of the lot IMHO.
What really makes it pop is the band. Wish I could find one like that for my 6309-7040.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts