The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4r37 Slide Rule mini-review - "The waiting" gives way to "At Last" by Etta James

oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Here's what FedEx says: Delivered

My new Slide-rule 4r37 is sitting on my desk! I've wanted one since the first postings here, and then when I saw all the shots on Yeomans, and now it's at home! Here's the "before" shot, before it got mailed to me. I hope I hope it works out better than the Sumo did - looked great in the shots but didn't work on the wrist (for me anyway).

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Re: The official WIS theme song is "The waiting is the hardest part" by Tom Petty

I agree. :iagree:

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Re: The official WIS theme song is "The waiting is the hardest part" by Tom Petty

Theres also this... :57:

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts

Then when you get it... :))

·
Registered
1,767 Posts

Congrats!

For the moment I'll keep listening (and singing) to TP and The Heartbreakers.....

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well, I have a whole bunch of photos ready to go, but they're at home. The forum died just in time for me to not be able to post them.

Here's this morning's Q&D wrist shot:

The watch is breathtaking out of the box - I insisted on getting everything - all boxes, tags, receipt, warranty card and everything. The one I got is brand-new from K2 in Singapore, and for some reason it came with the bracelet rather than the advertized rubber strap, which is OK by me. The watch just oozes quality - opening the white box with its black velvet interior, the watch appeared like a jewel. It's an extremely clean design, very restrained and elegant. The mix of black and silver/stainless is excellent. The shape and profile are very smooth and elegant - especially so for the coin-edge bezel, across its surface to the matching curved surface of the flush crystal - in profile the watch is very restrained. It has the classic Seiko stylings - the mix of polish and circular brushing is especially lovely. Functionally so far it's fine - the hand-wind works well, and of course it hacks. I put it on the timegrapher but since I don't know what the lift angle is I'm probably getting incorrect readings, but it's placing a steady -10-14 s/d with a surprising amount of beat error - .03 -.04 (dial up, and vertical). When I find the lift angle I'll tweak it - it produced extremely stable and steady results, so fine-tuning it shouldn't be an issue.

The Stargate-type crown is a little bit of a distraction but it might be considered a hallmark of the Superior line since all of my "Superior" models have them. It would look better with a 6105-800x crown IMO. The watch also shares the Stargate bracelet link - I did a side-by-side and they're the same; it's also possible that this bracelet would work on the Stargate though the solid endlink has a different profile. My only other quibble about the bracelet is that it's a little beefy for me - I've always loved the tapered look of the older style bracelets. However, the bracelet link profile subtly mimics the angle and profile of the lugs, so there's rhyme and reason for the look. That said, the bracelet tapers only first two links and is straight thereafter - if they'd run that taper to the third link it would have looked nicer. Also, for some reason I expected the crown to be screw-down but it's not, and it kind of feels like I'm driving without a seatbelt. The slide-rule instructions are only a few pages, which is weird - my 7t32 flightmaster had a huge thick book filled with all the crazy math you could do with the thing, but this only has a things about conversions between different kinds of liquid measures. My last worry is about that very smooth side profile on the bezel and crystal - there's nothing to protect the bezel surface. On the 6139-600x watches the surface of the bezel insert angles down slightly so that the bezel surface is protected by the relatively raised edge of the bezel and the edge of the flat-topped crystal - not so here. Anything that hits on the edge will drag across the bezel and across the crystal with no interference. The design is visually amazing, but functionally may have some long-term issues due to this.

I will do a better pictured and organized review tonight.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Re: 4r37 Slide Rule mini-review - "The waiting" gives way to "At Last" by Etta James

That really is a sweet looking watch, Seiko hit the nail on the head with this series, thanks for sharing. The lift angle is 53 degrees :)).

·
Registered
24,695 Posts
Re: 4r37 Slide Rule mini-review - "The waiting" gives way to "At Last" by Etta James

I Really Like that Watch :clap: Seiko DID Nail it :)

·
Registered
53 Posts

Hello Spencer,

Congrats in the purchase. I am in the process of buying the 008 model myself. One question though. Is it due to the angle you took the wrist shot of does the case seem to taper in towards your wrist?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Bearable said:
Hello Spencer,

Congrats in the purchase. I am in the process of buying the 008 model myself. One question though. Is it due to the angle you took the wrist shot of does the case seem to taper in towards your wrist?
I'd have to put a caliper on it but first impression is yes perhaps 1 or 2mm inward from top to bottom.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

I like that a lot. Hope you enjoy it. :13: :13: :13:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts