The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have my hands on a original 4205 diver..i know that they are a boys or ladies watch..what can you all tell me about them..i find little info...it will need a nos crystal and a original band..but is it worth spending the money on it?...i am told there is little value in them...can that be possible?...

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,747 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in them, but I have been told that they are contemporaries of the 6309 and have the same sort of qualities as those. I'd buy one for a nephew in a minute.

·
Craftsman
4,299 Posts
I have a couple original unmolested examples in very nice condition and they come in two sizes. There is a small version and a mid size version. The mid size version is the same size as the 6458 midsize quartz models. I wear them myself and think they are very nice divers.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have and enjoy mine, which looks OK to me even on my fat 7.5" wrist. That said, see this thread I started a while back. Seems like the consensus, including from Jack with IWW, is that they just aren't as robust as the standard divers or even the 2205s. It's a shame, because they're great little watches, and I think a lot of folks prefer a date-only design. If you've got one incoming, hopefully it'll be a good example, but I would definitely think twice before investing a ton.

Depending on your nephew's age/size, a 2205 might also be a good option. They're gorgeous and vaguely reminiscent of the 6159. Also, since they're clearly too small for your average man, you can sometimes get them for a song. I got a near-NOS one in box with manual on the 'bay for about $125 a while back, at auction. My wife didn't even want it, so it went to a co-worker for her birthday. Amazing if you think what an equivalent 6309 would've gone for.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well to be honest..it was nothing i really wanted..but did a watch trade and received it..and nephew is graduating high school and is just a little guy...i am 6'4"..i think he may be 5'2"..so i hope this will work well for him...

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for the great info..too bad that Seiko did not make these like the 6309 more...they look pretty nice ..i will need to find a genuine bezel insert as this one is a pepsi..and a good crystal..i think this one may be changed and not sure if original...

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow...that is what i love to hear..thank you

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well that looks almost identical to it...same bezel and wear marks too

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here is sellers pic..

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
My wife has had her 4205 for over 5 years now and has never given her any isues. IIR its a handwind movement. great watch for the lady in your life especialy when you team it up with a 6309 on your wrist....

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow...that look amazing with the metal band...thank you for sharing...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to trash the model. The one I have I love, and it also seems rock-solid without ever having been serviced. I've just had a disproportionately large number of bad experiences with other examples, so it seems like you have to get lucky to find a good one. Not a standard you'd usually apply to Seiko. But it's definitely still a cool watch to introduce a youngin' to :).

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well no worries bbilford83..i did not think that you were trying to do that at all..you were just giving a honest opinion...that is always best...

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i see there is two bezel options too..why is this?..can i get a coin edge bezel and will it fit on mine?..can i find a new crystal?..new bezel insert?....are parts available?..

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey signature1 any more pics of that band too...looks very nice...may have to find him one of those too...what is the band size?..

·
Registered
912 Posts
i see there is two bezel options too..why is this?..can i get a coin edge bezel and will it fit on mine?..can i find a new crystal?..new bezel insert?....are parts available?..
The coin edge is the ladies diver.

Someone say manual wind...they do have manual but also am auto rotor on those movements...!?

Edit: maybe the ladies one doesn't have the auto as well as the manual...?

·
Craftsman
4,299 Posts
The coin edge is the ladies diver.

Someone say manual wind...they do have manual but also am auto rotor on those movements...!?

Edit: maybe the ladies one doesn't have the auto as well as the manual...?
They both use the tiny 4205 movement. The mid size case just has a larger spacer ring. They both wind manually and have an auto wind mechanism.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.