The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have my hands on a original 4205 diver..i know that they are a boys or ladies watch..what can you all tell me about them..i find little info...it will need a nos crystal and a original band..but is it worth spending the money on it?...i am told there is little value in them...can that be possible?...

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,744 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in them, but I have been told that they are contemporaries of the 6309 and have the same sort of qualities as those. I'd buy one for a nephew in a minute.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I have a couple original unmolested examples in very nice condition and they come in two sizes. There is a small version and a mid size version. The mid size version is the same size as the 6458 midsize quartz models. I wear them myself and think they are very nice divers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have and enjoy mine, which looks OK to me even on my fat 7.5" wrist. That said, see this thread I started a while back. Seems like the consensus, including from Jack with IWW, is that they just aren't as robust as the standard divers or even the 2205s. It's a shame, because they're great little watches, and I think a lot of folks prefer a date-only design. If you've got one incoming, hopefully it'll be a good example, but I would definitely think twice before investing a ton.

Depending on your nephew's age/size, a 2205 might also be a good option. They're gorgeous and vaguely reminiscent of the 6159. Also, since they're clearly too small for your average man, you can sometimes get them for a song. I got a near-NOS one in box with manual on the 'bay for about $125 a while back, at auction. My wife didn't even want it, so it went to a co-worker for her birthday. Amazing if you think what an equivalent 6309 would've gone for.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well to be honest..it was nothing i really wanted..but did a watch trade and received it..and nephew is graduating high school and is just a little guy...i am 6'4"..i think he may be 5'2"..so i hope this will work well for him...

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for the great info..too bad that Seiko did not make these like the 6309 more...they look pretty nice ..i will need to find a genuine bezel insert as this one is a pepsi..and a good crystal..i think this one may be changed and not sure if original...

·
Registered
774 Posts
I got one for my wife and it has been all over the world. Only outlasted 3 straps and is currently on a Black 2 piece tuff strap. The thing is bulletproof.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow...that is what i love to hear..thank you

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
My wife's Pepsi version is also very robust. She's had it for 10 years and has spent lots of wrist time in the ocean and pools. Never leaked. Been serviced twice by my watchmaker. Accuracy is average at best. Not sure if more can be done about that. I say go for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that looks almost identical to it...same bezel and wear marks too

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is sellers pic..

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
My wife has had her 4205 for over 5 years now and has never given her any isues. IIR its a handwind movement. great watch for the lady in your life especialy when you team it up with a 6309 on your wrist....

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow...that look amazing with the metal band...thank you for sharing...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to trash the model. The one I have I love, and it also seems rock-solid without ever having been serviced. I've just had a disproportionately large number of bad experiences with other examples, so it seems like you have to get lucky to find a good one. Not a standard you'd usually apply to Seiko. But it's definitely still a cool watch to introduce a youngin' to :).

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well no worries bbilford83..i did not think that you were trying to do that at all..you were just giving a honest opinion...that is always best...

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i see there is two bezel options too..why is this?..can i get a coin edge bezel and will it fit on mine?..can i find a new crystal?..new bezel insert?....are parts available?..

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey signature1 any more pics of that band too...looks very nice...may have to find him one of those too...what is the band size?..

·
Registered
912 Posts
i see there is two bezel options too..why is this?..can i get a coin edge bezel and will it fit on mine?..can i find a new crystal?..new bezel insert?....are parts available?..
The coin edge is the ladies diver.

Someone say manual wind...they do have manual but also am auto rotor on those movements...!?

Edit: maybe the ladies one doesn't have the auto as well as the manual...?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wore mine all through college, on my wedding day and well into my marriage. I gave it away to my brother in law for a couple of years but got it back. Still have it and is stored safely.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The coin edge is the ladies diver.

Someone say manual wind...they do have manual but also am auto rotor on those movements...!?

Edit: maybe the ladies one doesn't have the auto as well as the manual...?
They both use the tiny 4205 movement. The mid size case just has a larger spacer ring. They both wind manually and have an auto wind mechanism.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts