The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this used 4006A BellMatic that just arrived today and I am trying to figure out to get it up and running. I noticed the balance assembly is flat out missing the lever that you move to adjust the timing. The beat error lever is there alright, but not the timing adjustment lever.

See attached photo, the red arrow points to the lever that is just not there at all. (Note - borrowed photo not today's arrival)

How easy is it to source a new balance, take out the old, pop in the new, and get it up and running? Do I need to take apart more than just unscrewing the balance assembly bridge? If so I am headed to a watchmaker.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge !

Attachments

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
i am so sorry Grammer...i have yet to work on mine...i hope it is a easy fix...God Bless John

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
well that is great then...i just got my first one...i will be listing it soon...i just have too many watches and do not see this one getting finished any time soon...what year is yours?...mine is a 4006 7001 from 1970 i think

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Grammar, I'm new to this forum, but have rebuilt a couple dozen Bell-matics. New complete balance assemblies are tough to find, but used (usually beat-up) movements are readily available, sometimes with usable balance assemblies, and easy enough to switch out. Is your balance wheel and hairspring OK (staff pivots and hairspring not broken or bent)? If they are good, I can send you a complete balance cock you can transplant your balance wheel and spring onto in exchange for your old parts. (I have a spare regulator arm, but it needs a new regulator pin I will fix eventually, and I don't think you want to mess with that).

This is a little more involved than just switching the entire balance assembly, but really it's just a slight turn of the regulator key and loosening the stud screw to detach your balance and hairspring - fairly simple if you have small enough screwdrivers, strong enough magnification and steady enough hands!

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
:great: :great:
Hi Grammar, I'm new to this forum, but have rebuilt a couple dozen Bell-matics. New complete balance assemblies are tough to find, but used (usually beat-up) movements are readily available, sometimes with usable balance assemblies, and easy enough to switch out. Is your balance wheel and hairspring OK (staff pivots and hairspring not broken or bent)? If they are good, I can send you a complete balance cock you can transplant your balance wheel and spring onto in exchange for your old parts. (I have a spare regulator arm, but it needs a new regulator pin I will fix eventually, and I don't think you want to mess with that).

This is a little more involved than just switching the entire balance assembly, but really it's just a slight turn of the regulator key and loosening the stud screw to detach your balance and hairspring - fairly simple if you have small enough screwdrivers, strong enough magnification and steady enough hands!

·
Special Member
7,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Wow that is a great offer. Let's finish it off via PM and I accept your deal!

I must say I will have my watchmaker do the substitution and gather the used parts for return. I am not ready to take that on at this point in my tinkering career. I do a lot and some movement repair, I would take on the bridge swap with the new balance assembly, but not this much.

This is why SCWF is such a great place. Become a regular poster !

Thank you kind sir.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're most welcome! I actually have 1/2 dozen leftover balance assemblies - all in need of a new balance staff, and/or have bent hairsprings - so I can definitely send a used balance cock in good shape. The offer will stand, as I don't have enough cases or dials for all the parts I have at this point...

FYI, since you plan to take it to an expert anyway, I did discover in the meantime that the part you need, Seiko # 341805 is still available new from at least one major parts supplier (Borel) if you'd rather go that route. I might suggest you have your watchmaker check your balance wheel & hairspring to make certain they are in good shape. It would be a shame to get all the parts together and find out you have a broken pivot for example, in that case it would probably be cheaper to go back to your original idea and just find a used movement with a good complete balance assembly to use. Will you plan on getting the movement cleaned & lubricated as well? I think the majority of Bell-matics I've worked on had never been serviced since they were new, from what I could see. I suppose most people figured if their watch was still running, then no need to do anything to it, and Seikos can run a long time with no lubrication (at cost of much increased wear, and less accurate timekeeping though).

I believe I'm not yet allowed to send a private message with such a minimal post count, but I think you can send one to me with your contact info if needed? I've been studiously reading past discussions on this board but did not think I had anything useful to contribute to the vast resources already here! I have learned a great deal and offer my thanks to other members for their manifold contributions as well!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Srguitar...we need great people like you here and i am sure you can contribute more than you know...God Bless and great to have you with us...John

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
well that is great ....Srguitar....that was awesome....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts