The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, gentlemen (safe to assume, I reckon).

I do believe this problem has been mentioned here before a few times, but I'm starting a new thread as this here is a definitive solution - you are welcome.

Bellmatic case 6040 has a shape which does not allow for installation of normal replacement bands or straps. When I got a new one here a few days ago (a beauty, wouldn't you agree?) I did not take this fact into consideration. The original bracelet was in decent shape, but for all it's vintage originality and nice link design in terms of appearance, what a weak and nasty piece of manufacture! There was no way I could use it as received, so I faced two choices - either turn this Bellmatic into a pendant around the neck on a beautiful ribbon or to be a man and cry all night. Or just figure this one out.

And figure I did. I present you with the troubled 6040 case mounted to a band like nobody's business. Clean, becoming and appealing in austere kind of way, in my humble opinion. Who am I kidding with "humble"? Shout it from the rooftops - the days of misery are over!

Now to the nuts and bolts. I went with 22 mm lug end size on the new strap and it's right on. Few strokes of X-acto make the notch for the stub-out on the case. The pin to hold it in is a 22 mm screw lug, billed as "Gucci Type" and sold by WatchBandUSA E-bay store. I have used 1.3 mm thick shaft, but I have a feeling that 1.8 mm bar they have will fit in the hole on the case lug as well. I'll likely try another strap also (and something needs to be done about the bieberly clasp on this one, for sure), but as a proof of concept this approach is clearly a success.

Behold the outcome and let me know what you think.

By the way, if anyone here needs the original bracelet, please let me know - I'll let it go for S&H. It is pictured here as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, Vincent! Thanks. The forum doesn't let me reply to private messages because I'm a "Junior" and don't have enough posts under my belt. Ah well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good solution. Mine had no bracelet at all, so I decided to get one of those reproductions from the Philippines which turned out to be a very bad idea. It is ok but just poorly executed so does not feel right on the wrist. I would be happy to have a go at yours if you can spare it. I may try the strap solution as well though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and thanks, skx. I have a cousin in Sidney, but I myself reside in the Great US of A. I wonder how much this kind of shipping might cost, but I'm open to it. Let's make a deal. I know these things are pretty rare to find, so it should be worth it for a real proper collector who's not an amateur out for cheap e-bay thrills like myself. Let me know and I'll send you some better images of the bracelet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks mate, postage from the US is not much. I'll pm you soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
well great work love the leather......and hey if that band is still available..i am very interested...God Bless,John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uh-oh. Correction - I have received and tried the 1.8 mm lug from WatchBandUSA and it DOES NOT FIT. This one actually seems more than 0.5 mm thicker than 1.3 mm, but without a caliper I can't confirm it. And, besides, I have no reason to gripe; I was lucky to get my hands on a rare piece like this to begin with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts