The Watch Site banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a lovely 4004 in for a repair / service for a very good friend. Stem release lever is found under the crystal seal once the case has been split. No matter what combination I try just can’t get the stem to release.

Any 4004 experts got experience with this particular issue.? Any help gratefully received.

DCB9283C-6E18-44C6-B25A-902D64180194.jpeg

·
Special Member
5,394 Posts
Sometimes you just can’t get a stem to release for whatever reason. I just had this issue with a 6119 Manhattan. I removed the hands and pulled the stem to the 2nd position. This allowed me to lift the movement up enough to get to the dial feet screws and remove the dial and the day/date parts. I was able to get a lift on directly the lever and not the tab and get the stem out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
UPDATE
The dial feet on this 4004 movement are held in place by eccentric posts (referred to technical manual) so unfortunately the workaround used by Zeke441 was a non-starter, but appreciated the suggestion.

After sleeping on it something occurred to me - the movement was ever so slightly askew In case body, so under a tiny bit of pressure potentially. Removed the cell hatch and cell, back to the stem release and out she popped. There must have just been enough pressure from the cell spring to snag the keyless works - the lever would move freely back and forth but the travel must not have been sufficient before fouling.
Cell removal is normally the first thing I would do but this was a front opener and a clam shell type case so thought I‘d get it when stripped as it was dead - you live and learn. Hopefully this may help someone in the future.
Every days a school day as they say…

4AB5B5E4-534E-4553-B642-8358DA15AE8B.jpeg

·
Administrator
33,540 Posts
Well done Keith, lovely watch by the way :)

·
Craftsman
1,837 Posts
Great save Keith and nice out of the box thinking through the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts