The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally received my replacement order of 330W18GN reproduction crystals a few days ago. I've been in the process or randomly checking about 20% of my order to see if they measure up to an original crystal. I've learned quite a bit throughout this process of producing a reproduction crystal. One thing that is consistent across the board, including with original Seiko crystals, is that there are variables in the measurements between like samples of the same brand crystals due to the manufacturing process. I don't have any hands on experience with the actual process but from my understanding a mold is created to make the crystals and then the finishing process grinds the edge angle and polishes the surfaces. Throughout the final finishing process is where the variances occur. In checking 25 of my own crystals regarding the height, the outside diameter, and the edge bevel angle, the vast majority fall within the variances I've also seen with original Seiko crystals. My main goal with this project was to overcome the inner bezel distortion as seen with most 330W18GN reproduction crystals. The original prototype crystals I received for approval were top notch, in my opinion, compared to original 330W18GN crystals, and eliminated the inner bezel distortion and the black ring seen around the inner bezel as I pointed out in my crystal review.

Although my sample prototype crystals met the mark, it appears that when it came to a mass production run there were too many variables and for some reason the crystals I received do show a slight hint of a ring around the inner bezel. I bring this to light, first off because I want to be straight forward about my crystals. I'm not going to Boast that it's a perfect 1:1 copy or pump it up with a bunch of Hype. I'm just a Perfectionist with OCD and often times I might actually expect too much when it comes to reproduction parts but then again, I know a lot of you guys are in the same boat. That being said I feel these crystals, while not as perfect as I would like, still meet the bill as a decent reproduction crystal. As always, you'll have to judge for yourself based on your own preferences.

In the first photo you'll see an original Original Seiko 330W18GN double domed crystal.

In this photo of "another" popular 330W18GN reproduction crystal you can see quite a bit of inner bezel distortion coupled with a black ring around the inner bezel.

The final photo is of my reproduction crystal that is Now Available. It is slightly different then the prototype samples that I originally received in that it does have a slight trace of a ring around the inner bezel when viewing the watch straight on. All in all I still feel it's a decent reproduction crystal.

I know a lot of you guys expressed interest in these crystals when I posted my review. If you're still in need please PM me for more details.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hey Tom, I know that you are sending some to John and one of these is for my JDM 6139 and I’m just fine with what you have done. It looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Anything that's good enough to pass muster with you Tom is more than good enough for me. I am IN !

Thank you for being new excellence to our hobby.
That should have read " thank you for BRINGING new excellence to our hobby"

Alas I cannot edit the above as my weekly fill has been attained.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts