The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bit the bullet and attacked my wife's non working Seiko Quarts cal 2625.

I am having a little trouble rebuilding the going train, 4 gears share the bridge with the rotor, and it being magnetic and the gears steel they all want to get together and have a party, spent about 3 hours with the little mongrels.
Does anybody have any trick for the assembly of this group?

Think I have found the cause of the not running problem, only need to get it together to find out.

Pic's

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts
Tools: use brass or non-magnetic ss tweezers. Use a ss oiler to manipulate the pivots. Place the rotor first...you may have to hold it in place as you replace the rest of the train...starting from wheel closest to the plate and working your way towards the bridge. Place the bridge and put a little pressure on it with a toothpick or a heavier oiler. Work rest of the pivots into place with the oiler...the upper rotor pivot will likely be the last to go into place. Sometimes helps to tilt your movement holder up with a short piece of pithwood under the front two legs...this may enable you to see under the bridge so you are pushing the pivots the right direction.

BTW...did you check the coil?...Looks like it may be trashed. Also, there is corrosion on the contacts.

Regards, BG

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You have my sympathies, I did one of these a couple of years ago and it was a major b**** getting the bridge back on. It took many attempts over a couple of days. In the end there wasn't any trick to it, just patience and a bit of luck. Good luck to you, I hope it helps!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BenchGuy, Thanks for your help, seems like a patience issue, and getting all the planets to line up, just wished they had used a brass wheel next to the rotor would have helped with the magnetism problem.
Makes you wonder how they assemble them in the first place, they couldn't afford to take the time I do, then my mind conjures up this image of a line of Asian ladies lined up fitting hundreds of these in a day, and I feel inadequate!

Yes I did test the coil and it is OK, I think the corrosion is probably the cause of it not going, would have shorted it out, have cleaned all that up and now just need to get this train together to see if it works.

Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
feca67, thanks for you input, makes me feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one to have this problem, that is one thing that playing with watches teaches is patience, mainly when you are trying to get that screw started without dislodging the bridge for the 20--- time!

Regards,
Max

·
Registered
300 Posts
Get a tiny button magnet and place it on the main plate opposite to the rotor to hold it in place. I have not done this myself but watched a skilled operator do it - he had it together in seconds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thinking back now, he actually used a spare rotor as the magnet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
You can also use a small bridge screw under the rotor area to keep it relatively centered.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
skx & rileynp,

Thanks for your ideas, will try them if I have the misfortune to pull it down again, on the third day picked it up to do battle and everything just fell into place, some of these things I think the harder you try the more frustrated you become and it is best to put it away for a day or two and approach it with a clear mind.

Sorry not to have replied sooner but have been occupied with other things and have not been on the forum much of late!

Regards
Max

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
if a coil is damaged can it b fixed???
Sometimes, yes. One can use a purpose-made silver conductive epoxy to repair damaged coils, but the damage has to be the right kind, and the damaged area must be prepared before application, you don't just slap it on. Best/first choice is to source a new coil/circuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts