The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I seem to be very good at buying fake Citizens, 2 fake 8200's so far. This chunky 61 strikes me as a most unusual watch. The case looks and feels like bakelite but is probably resin and is 39mm wide.
Unfortunately the faceted crystal is very scratched and the plating is worn on the bezel so unless it's super rare I doubt it will get fully restored. From the design I would think it dates from the 70's but would appreciate a more informed opinion. ( On Checking I see that I have dated it to Nov 74 )

The dial is wood veneer with painted name and applied markers

The movement runs but is in need of a service as it stops sometimes. It is stamped 6501 by the balance.

From what I learnt from Sweephand and Spilled Fluids the other day the jewel caps look genuine so I am hopeful with this one.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
This one is fine Seikotone :) It's a 6501 auto from November 1974. Here's a pic of the same model although with a black dial by the looks of it, from a 1974 German catalog - these were fairly expensive in their day, when black coated cases were still a new development:

Stephen

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i have had one of these...it will be a very nice little watch when you are done...great find...

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
wow...that is so very beautiful...love the dial

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hoorah !! a real one at last, Thanks guys. This case is dark brown and as I stated earlier seems just like bakelite. What are the chances of getting a crystal ? I suspect I will have to regrind and polish it myself.
Just seen your post Dutchsiberia that one is very nice.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
the faceted glass on these is hard to find since it needs to be original. The part number for this one is 54-53630.

Original crystals can be found on Yahoo Japan, but this one is not listed there at the moment, and they are fairly costly when they do turn up.

'Black' can be brown sometimes:

Stephen

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
wow...great find...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a great and varied selection you guys have, I had not seen any of these models before. Definitely gives me an incentive to sort this one. How do you remove the bezels from these.

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts