The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I have recently started to get into seiko & citizen watches and also learning firstly with a kit miyota 8215 watchmaking kit.

I guess I have done by 1st mod with this seiko 5 7s26 watch.

I'm pretty please with the transformation. I've replaced the dial, hands and strap.

The only issue is the hands are really tight-- which is good in a way i.e. they stay on LOL- however they are really hard to wind-on. The hands do move --so it keeps time but they are so stiff-- any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello mate, nice work for your first mod, I've a few if them dials as well that need to be put on movements, just saving some cash for some pilot hand sets. When you say the hands are stiff to move, do you mean when you are adjusting the time via the crown?? If so then I would start to look at the movement and your mod to see if anything is fouling any part. Were the hands stiff to move before the mod? I think that you might of pushed the hands on too far and they are rubbing, that's my first thought, then maybe the dial isn't centred and rubbing.
Have a good look under a loup at the hand stack whilst adjusting the time and see if you can see anything amiss ok and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
wow...that looks great....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there-- yes the hands are stiff when using the movement to wind. Apart from that the hands move normally. Interestingly i found the hands easier to put on than my miyota 8215 kit where the seconds hand continuously falls off despite having now 3 sets! However, whilst the hand placing was easier for my seiko 5-- yes I did push very firmly! I will check to see if perhaps I put on too far.

Separately what is the purpose of the metal ring with the crystal-- cousins uk only has the crystal with a gold plated ring and the original was stainless steel-- however actually i like how it brings out the colour of the hands and also contrasts with the black dial better :)

Cheers

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
hey you just need to transfer the ring over...it is the tension ring that keeps the crystal tight up against the case...but what you have looks great.....like you meant it to be that way

·
Registered
238 Posts
Purists would no doubt say that that SS ring should have been fitted.
I. however, disagree. I don't know if it's the lighting conditions but that tension ring shows the watch off quite nicely in my opinion.

Nice work Andrew.

Regards

David

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks David--- yeah I agree -- it does go rather nice-- more accident than by design but nevertheless does look quite nice like it in real life :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Have you tried spinning the crown when it is pushed in all the way. If it is still tight when it is disengaged then that means either you need some lube on the stem oring. Or the stem oring is the wrong one for the case or is swollen. If you have an old spare stem remove the o ring and insert that stem temporarily to see if it turns easier.
If it is still tight then it is possible the hour and minute hand are pressed together.

Also I did the same mod too! About two months ago on a 7S26 Seiko 5 and it is a nice inexpensive mod that really looks good. Someone on eBay is now selling a hand set that would look good with that dial now too. Unfortunately just as I was all done with my mod and all ready to drop the movement in the case I took one last time to ensure that the dial was 100% free of prints and dust and I accidentally bumped into the Seiko logo and tweaked it and bent the top of the S down. Man I was mad. I put it away and then reordered another dial. I have not gotten around to reinstalling the new dial but it really is a good looking mod.

Michael

Michael

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there sorry haven't been on here for a while-- when the crown is pushed in all the way it spins fine. I think it must be that the hands are pressed tightly-- I haven't removed them yet -- as actually have another set from email in -- a plongeur set :) . Yep know the feeling when making a mistake on a mod-- actually I this was my 3rd dial -- i managed to get a number of sets with the dial feet in the wrong place or the day/date window wasn't large enough. In the end I had to cut the feet and use dial dots as rapidly my mod parts were starting to mount up in price! However, I suppose by making mistakes its the best way to learn :)
Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
If the watch is keeping good time its unlikely that the hands are binding.
If the hands were binding they would put a drag on the movement and slow it down if not stopping it from running altogether.
If the crown is free to turn in the crown tube, then i would be looking at the clutch /keyless works.
Is the quickset day/date function stiff to operate as well?
The intermediate date wheel on the 7s26 is plastic and prone to chewing up the teeth, which will make hand setting stiff but not effect the quick set day/date.
If youve pushed too hard on the second hand with no support under the train bridge you may have dislodged the jewel for the fourth wheel pinion. Also the 7s26 train bridge is made of cake and will distort easily, however in either case i would expect the movement not to run very well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi I've had the watch on for about 8 hr today and seems to be not bad in terms of tuning ... So would appear aren't dragging . The quick date seems ok . I think I might at least try and remove the hands and replace again just to see if makes a difference ... It's not a major problem for me as its not a my daily watch but nevertheless would be great to fix it as changing the time is painfully slow and hard on the fingers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Make sure your cannon pinion slipping area is greased (between the center wheel arbor and the crimped area of the cannon pinion). A dry cannon pinion can cause excessive resistance when setting the time, and will eventually lead to stripping teeth.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi there .... I took of the hands and at the point winding the crown was still tight . So I put some silicon grease around pinion and also stem . This seems to have done the trick . I've put the hands back on . Only problem I've clearly omitted a step when putting hands on as the date change does not happen at midnight !!! Seems to be around a few hours later ... What should I do to get this right ?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Only problem I've clearly omitted a step when putting hands on as the date change does not happen at midnight !!! Seems to be around a few hours later ... What should I do to get this right ?

Take hands off.
Turn crown until date just turns to next one.
Replace hands set to 12:00

1 - 16 of 16 Posts