The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings fellow members. I know the orange monster has a huge following, but never paid close attention to it or it's details/models. Just saw that my local Seiko AD had this in stock (new condition of course); the SKX781K3 on a rubber strap. Researching a bit, looks like SKX781K3 was the first generation monster (and the most popular?) I believe. It's being sold for $410 USD. Price seems kind of high for it just having the non-hacking/winding 7S26 movement and without the SS bracelet, but wondering if the watch justifies the price. My wrist is 6.5 inches, but looks like the lug to lug might be okay.

What year was this watch discontinued BTW? Googled, but could not find a year.

Sorry for all the questions!

·
First Lady
2,836 Posts
Brand new discontinued GEN1 OM for $410? Grab it! Then pick up a brand new OEM bracelet for it, on eBay, for under $80, and you’ve got the whole package. I’m not sure if it’s the most popular, but probably, because it’s the original. I like the GEN2 .GEN1 would have been discontinued when GEN2 was released, so for quite some time. If you check the serial number on the back of the watch, in the store, you may be able to figure it out. It’s probably a watch from near the end of production. My GEN2 is from 2013, so GEN1 was probabably discontinued about 10 years ago. I bought mine when GEN2 initially released.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brand new discontinued GEN1 OM for $410? Grab it! Then pick up a brand new OEM bracelet for it, on eBay, for under $80, and you’ve got the whole package. I’m not sure if it’s the most popular, but probably, because it’s the original. I like the GEN2 .GEN1 would have been discontinued when GEN2 was released, so for quite some time. If you check the serial number on the back of the watch, in the store, you may be able to figure it out. It’s probably a watch from near the end of production. My GEN2 is from 2013, so GEN1 was probably discontinued about 10 years ago. I bought mine when GEN2 initially released.

Kat

$80 is not bad for an original OM bracelet! You are correct about the discontinuation! Just read that that Gen. 2 was released in 2012. I've no idea why my local Seiko AD has a NOS of this watch since they mostly have current models. I am being tempted to buy it :)

·
First Lady
2,836 Posts
$80 is not bad for an original OM bracelet! You are correct about the discontinuation! Just read that that Gen. 2 was released in 2012. I've no idea why my local Seiko AD has a NOS of this watch since they mostly have current models. I am being tempted to buy it :)
Please do! If you don’t want it, buy it and sell it to me….

Kat

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

Went to Seiko Boutique and bought the OM Gen 1. When I got home I noticed the crown has an "S" signed logo on it. I believe the original OM Gen. 1 unsigned crown should resemble the bezel shape.

The serial starts with 6, so it's from 2006. My guess is that since the serial is from 2006, when it was either in display or stored away in these past sixteen years, the original crown got dinged or something, and a Seiko watchmaker changed it to the "S" crown. A transparent sticker is still is on the caseback, though.

Love the look/feel of the watch, but kind of bummed out about the crown since it's a bit franken now in my eyes. Not sure if I should:

• return it and ask for a refund
  • under warranty have them find the original crown (after researching I think the stem-crown part is 1E70A7SNS0)
  • leave as is
Any suggestions?

·
Special Member
2,332 Posts
I’d leave it as-is, a signed crown is an upgrade in many circles, as long as it’s original Seiko.

You can always pick up a spare NOS crown with a gasket and without the “S” for $36USD - I recently replaced mine on my SKX779.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d leave it as-is, a signed crown is an upgrade in many circles, as long as it’s original Seiko.

You can always pick up a spare NOS crown with a gasket and without the “S” for $36USD - I recently replaced mine on my SKX779.
You are right, I may be over-reacting 🤣. I found the original crown on eBay for $36; I might buy the original non-signed crown to have also, and just leave the "S" one on for now.

·
First Lady
2,836 Posts
You are right, I may be over-reacting . I found the original crown on eBay for $36; I might buy the original non-signed crown to have also, and just leave the "S" one on for now.
How strange that they did that! As said, it is an upgrade. As long as it looks good, leave it! Only buy the original, if you plan on flipping it, down the road. And even then, most buyers would welcome the upgraded signed crown. Congrats on your new OM.

Kat

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How strange that they did that! As said, it is an upgrade. As long as it looks good, leave it! Only buy the original, if you plan on flipping it, down the road. And even then, most buyers would welcome the upgraded signed crown. Congrats on your new OM.

Kat

Thanks! I "S" crown is slowly growing on me. Love that orange dial and well built tank of a case that it is!

·
First Lady
2,836 Posts
Thanks! I "S" crown is slowly growing on me. Love that orange dial and well built tank of a case that it is!
You are very welcome. If you check today’s WRUW thread, I am wearing mine today. You will also note that it’s my avatar. Now all you need is the bracelet, which is very cool, and makes the watch even more special, IMO.

Kat

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWIW: Since there serial starts with 61 (Jan. 2006), that means it has the 7s26A movement (since that was made until Oct. 2006). I've heard Spencer Klein and others claim it is better the b/c movements, so definitely keeping it now after that nice surprise :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts