The Watch Site banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the original owner of a Pulsar quartz ladies diver watch. It was stored in a box since the mid-1990s, as the battery had died. Other than that, it's in near perfect condition without any damage. In May, 2018, I dug it out and had a local watch shop change the battery to see if it ran, which it does, and keeps sufficiently good time (I haven't kept precise track of its accuracy, but is no more than 1-2 minutes off, if that). I'd like to get its seals replaced, plus a pressure test and any other recommended service. It also needs a new band.

I inquired of a well-reviewed watch repair shop in Orange County, CA., and was told, "get a new watch. The parts are no longer available."

Is that correct and what would the sages on this forum recommend 1) as a course of action, 2) likely cost, and 3)trusted watch repair person?

Many thanks!
ps--this forum won't let me post links or pictures b/c I don't have 5 posts.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I'm the original owner of a Pulsar quartz ladies diver watch. It was stored in a box since the mid-1990s, as the battery had died. Other than that, it's in near perfect condition without any damage. In May, 2018, I dug it out and had a local watch shop change the battery to see if it ran, which it does, and keeps sufficiently good time (I haven't kept precise track of its accuracy, but is no more than 1-2 minutes off, if that). I'd like to get its seals replaced, plus a pressure test and any other recommended service. It also needs a new band.

I inquired of a well-reviewed watch repair shop in Orange County, CA., and was told, "get a new watch. The parts are no longer available."

Is that correct and what would the sages on this forum recommend 1) as a course of action, 2) likely cost, and 3)trusted watch repair person?

Many thanks!
ps--this forum won't let me post links or pictures b/c I don't have 5 posts.
Watchmakers often won't bother with older, low end watches. A service usually exceeds the cost of a replacement, parts are not available, and they're back logged with Rolex alone, never mind the other high end brands sitting in the repair queue. If it weren't for Seiko enthusiasts you probably couldn't find someone outside of the service centers to service a Seiko either, nor would aftermarket parts be available.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts