The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright so this used beauty was on the bay, the nice seller even included a non fitting capacitor from "somewhere".

Circuit works after some cleaning, coil is allright, solar cell works great (3 volts in the sun!)
What about the mechanical parts? (movement needs to be removed from the front)
A little bit crusty...

I'm seeing some green crud.

Yuck, leaking capacitor? Or from the alkaline battery I found in the watch after opening?

Everything seemed to work after first assembly (sorry for the hair :( )
But a little anti backlash spring thingy that pushes against the rotor was bent the wrong way and sadly broke off eventually. But for some reason the movement works fine without the spring, but I'll try to find one anyway :)
New accu is a Varta V15H

The bent spring is visible between the two black arrows.

The yellowish plastic part of the dial had a fracture around the date aperture. It was loose and touching the hour hand. I managed to glue the brittle plastic with model glue. I wouldn't use cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) No chance to do it over and it makes a rigid bond, leaving nasty white marks on every place you accidentally touched the watch with your fingers... The model glue is much milder still can move a little.

It looks quite nice from a distance ;)

Birthyear and month watch :D

Result so far. (original bracelet)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Rather nice watches aren't they :cool: I was watching that one and was surprised it went so cheap, even non workers normally go for a bit more:eek:hmy:
That is an early one, the bracelet changed for the 1977 watches to this plainer one.

I bought one new in 1977, but managed to smash the crystal some time in the 1980's and when rediscovered a couple of years ago, in a drawer, I couldn't get it repaired anywhere. I picked up it's Identical replacement, shown above, about a year ago, in near pristine condition and was very pleased to 'only' have to pay about £100 for it ;)
An early watch, with the same bracelet as yours appears in this video of the Citizen Exhibit at Milan Design Week 2014.
A very iconic watch, the World's first solar analogue watch.:cool:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes I blame you for wanting to get one :) I'm surprised it went cheap too, but a cosmetically nice one sold for quite some money not long before this one, so maybe the "rich collectors" weren't paying attention to this one? Yours look awesome by the way. (if you ever want to get rid of your broken one, I'm looking for the spring thingy part ;) )

(this one went for 90 GBP/ 124 euro!)
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/201307296807?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I've just watched the video, awesome :) And very cool that I seem to have a early model :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice watches! I saw this thread recently and decided to try and fix my Crystron that hasn't been running for years. It would work under sunlight, but couldn't hold a charge. I tried installing a Varta V15H battery, but one of the retaining screws broke in half (the top half fell out and the other half is stuck in the hole).Even if I managed to get the broken half out, i'd need to find a replacement screw that will fit. Is there any chance of replacing this screw?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one!
One of my screwheads was already broken in half. I just replaced with a screw from the partspile :)
Hopefully, you can remove the remaining screw. Which one is broken? The one that also holds part of the circuit or the one that's in the trainbridge?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nice examples of a world first :) These cost JPY45,000 in 1976 when they were launched. Their accuracy spec was +/- 15 seconds a month, and the battery promised a five year life, when earlier electric watches, e.g. the Cosmotrons were good only for a one year.

Stephen

·
Registered
2 Posts
The screw on the train bridge snapped. Hopefully there's enough of the screw left sticking out underneath to remove it, but I didn't take off the train bridge to see. A few years ago I sent the watch to Citizen's repair center asking if they could replace the battery, they said they couldn't as it was too old and no longer supported but they wanted to trade the watch for a discount on a new one.... It was a good offer, but I told them to ship it back!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts