The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I picked up a few watches recently in a job lot. One of the surprises was a 1975 Citizen Cosmotron GX (Tuning Folk Hummer). I literally know absolutely nothing about this watch. It is in NOS condition and its running amazingly well. When I opened the case the original citizen battery was still present from 1975. Luckily it hadnt leaked.

I have tried to find information online regarding this watch however it is really hard to find anything about this citizen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I’m following your threads and you did get a lot of very interesting watches. Congratulations! I have never seen this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: demof1

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m following your threads and you did get a lot of very interesting watches. Congratulations! I have never seen this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yeah as you can see from the attached photo, I couldnt see this watch in the lot clearly, it looked like some sort of modern dress watch. When the box arrived and this fell into my hands I was staggered. Given it is from 1975, it looks like it was never worn. The watch emits a constant chime as it runs and the second hand has a silky sweep. I am really impressed with it. However, there are only a few pictures online and they are of old beaten versions. Seems to be pretty rare.

·
Banned
885 Posts
I’m following your threads and you did get a lot of very interesting watches.
You'll soon see them all popping up on eBay. This person is a dealer - picking the collective brains of the SCWF membership, to help him get them sorted, so he can move them on. Mark my words.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know what other variations of this watch were released? I found a photo of a very rough looking white dialed version and a low res photo of what appears to be a gold version. Very keen to pick up more of these given their performance I have witnessed in the past 24 hours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have bought a lot of second hand watches in my life, but to pick one up with its original battery, certain the movement would be gone due to battery leakage, only to find upon opening the case a pristine movement. One new battery and a day later it has not lost a single second. Its weird, but in a good way.

·
Banned
885 Posts
I have bought a lot of second hand watches in my life ....
Many a true word .... straight from the horse's mouth, etc. ....

This person is a dealer - picking the collective brains of the SCWF membership, to help him get them sorted, so he can move them on. Mark my words.
Keep this up Dempsey - you're only 10 posts away from being able to sell on the Trading Post. :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well two weeks later and this watch has only lost a few seconds. Pretty remarkable considering it was dormant for 45 years. What a peach ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you that was a great read. I didnt expect there would be much information out there. Still loving this watch!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hi Stephen, thanks for the interesting read. Just a minor point though -- you state 'Notably Citizen was the only company with an agreement from Bulova to produce the movements'. In fact, quite a few Swiss companies produced and/or used these movements, most notably Omega with their Speedsonics, and Longines, Movado, Swissonic, Universal Genève, and Certina. AFAIK these were all dual coil movements, and had the 'Lic. Bulova' stamp.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hi Sir Les - that's interesting to know. I know I didn't make it up so I must have read it somewhere! I'll have to amend that bit.
Hi Stephen, thanks for the interesting read. Just a minor point though -- you state 'Notably Citizen was the only company with an agreement from Bulova to produce the movements'. In fact, quite a few Swiss companies produced and/or used these movements, most notably Omega with their Speedsonics, and Longines, Movado, Swissonic, Universal Genève, and Certina. AFAIK these were all dual coil movements, and had the 'Lic. Bulova' stamp.
Hi Sir Les - that's interesting to know. I know I didn't make it up so I must have read it somewhere! I'll have to amend that bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts