1973 Seiko 6139-8002 Chronograph Review

[b]
Brand[/b]: Seiko
[b]
Model number[/b]: 6139-8002

[b]Dial Code: [/b]6139 8010

[b]Official or unofficial Nickname (if any exists)[/b]: no nickname

[b]Overview:[/b]

I was poking around on ebay looking for other 6139s when I stumbled on this and I knew I had to have it. Bright, yet muted blue dial, nice little red detailing around the perimeter of the dial. Lovely bright school bus orange hands (though I think they're repaints). A Benjamin and some change later, it showed up at my door. Only light marring to the caseback (one big pet peeve of mine), minor marks to the crystal and it runs like it should.
[b]
Movement information/review:

[/b]Classic Seiko 6139B movement

[b]Case review:

[/b]Here's the fun part. I love how this is the classic rally chronograph shape. To me, it looks similar to the Oris Chronoris. It's one of only Seikos I've seen with a vertical brushed finish on the back and the lugs. It curves nicely around the sides and ends abruptly at the lugs. The lugs themselves and nicely squared off and looks milled cleanly. 19mm lug width does make it annoying to find nice straps that would fit.
[b]
Crystal review:
[/b]
Like many watches of the era, it's a nice slightly domed crystal with (on my example) no frosted edge. It's mineral glass, probably Hardlex. Looks beefy too, almost like it would belong on a divers.
[b]
Bracelet/strap review (including clasp):

[/b]Alas, mine came on a 18mm Seiko LM bracelet. It looked great on it, it just wasn't the right width.
[b]
To close it up:
[/b]
I love the look, I love the feel, and the classic movement inside. This is what vintage Seikos are about.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v397/roofdweller49/6139%208002/IMG_4539.jpg

·
Registered
775 Posts
They look soft and pudgy, but in reality they're great to wear. I managed to score one with a razor bracelet and had it rebuilt by Spencer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts