The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did it, my first crystal replacement. I took the whole watch apart, pulled the movement, rodico-ed the dial, pulled the crystal with the case pry tool under the ring thing, and waited patiently for the new German Crystal to arrive (from Ofrei)

Getting the new one in was tricky business, first lining it all back up, from the chapter ring, to the gasket, etc. BUT the crystal press worked like a charm on the 25th try. And the results are amazing. The dial looks great! So stoked.

More mod's/restores to come!! Love this stuff!

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Congratulations. The first crystal replacement is a special moment. Now you are hooked ! The Bug has Bitten.

Terrific results, she's a looker.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Well done. A new crystal makes all the difference and the satisfaction of doing it yourself for the first time is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Nice job and as Jon mentioned now you're hooked!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Very well done, that looks like a lovely 6012.

This bit though: "rodico-ed the dial". Just be careful with that, I've done it, I've had half a dial come off on the Rodico. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice one; I'm about to venture down the same road!

Just bought my first 6139-6012 and happy, but have a few doubts.
The number on the dial is 6139-6080T which I believe does not need to match the case-back's 6139-6012?
The inner chapter ring does not turn, but not a real problem to me and the strap is great for my taste RG but not I believe a Seiko fit!
I am however glad to say that the day & date change correctly using the crown stem and I now know that the watch does not have a standard seconds hand, LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice one; I'm about to venture down the same road!

Cheers,
thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding Re Chapter-ring!
I'm tempted to replace current ring with a darker colour, but should I?
There's a few watches on Ebay that look nice and sell for circa £300, that said I'm not in-it for making money!

The non-std, rolled gold bracelet on mine looks great now cleaned and the crystal is coming up good with P1200 wet and dry, yes there's lots of surface scratches but really, so hard to see without a loop!

Another esthetic question is Re the crystal bezel ring that on mine has rubbed, but I actually like the silvered contrasting outer-rim; am I strange or what?
Regards All,
Rees

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts