The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law has my wife's great grandfather's pocket watch I'm going to restore it for him. Just took some pics and checked out the movement. Off hand it looks like a broken balance staff. Should be able to find one, I'll know more when I take it apart. Beautiful old watch.

1928 Elgin Grade 478

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
A staff for this should be easy to find but it needs a whip lash spring and adjustment screw, that won't be easy to find. Nice old Elgin Rail Road pocket watch.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
These watches were very important to the economy and safety of train transportation for people and goods for many decades. And they were beautifully made. I keep an old Hamilton movement in my office to remind me of the once glorious era of American Watch companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: zeke441

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Jerry - Looks great. I worked on a few pocket watches earlier this year and actually was successful at changing a pressure fit balance staff. Delicate work.

Check Ofrei.com. They carry a lot of vintage parts for Elgin pocket watches. I picked up a new balance staff and several screws for the piece I was working on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts