The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I was wondering if this watch that I bought recently would be worth repairing? One of the hands has fallen off inside. It's marked 18K not Hallmarked so I'm guessing it's not English. Any advice or opinions on its value repaired or scrap, or its age would be very appreciated. It weighs 39g.

Attachments

·
Special Member
946 Posts
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a chronometer grade mvmt, it looks run of the mill to me, no fancy regulator at all, my two cents is that the value is in scrap, the dial may be gold as well as the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks very much
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a chronometer grade mvmt, it looks run of the mill to me, no fancy regulator at all, my two cents is that the value is in scrap, the dial may be gold as well as the case.
In your experience if it weighs 39g how much of that will be gold?

·
Special Member
946 Posts
I would pull the movement out, the dustcover and crystal off, once the dial is removed the back of it will be a good indicator if it is gold as well, still needs testing of course for content. My guesstimate would be 15-18 grams of gold content.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interesting that the movement has no branding at all. It's an old bar bridge movement, so it could be pretty old - or it could be later but low tech. I would post the question over @ one of the more general watch forums or NAWCC to get a better idea of what it is. The finish on the winding gear and ratchet is really nice, and I can't tell if the screws are blued. Those are usually indicators of nicer movements, but it looks like this one might be only 15 jewels (no center jewel). Definitely an interesting movement. Does it run? If the hand came off, it may have taken a fall...

Reactions: vincentg
1 - 9 of 9 Posts