The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me please.

I like watches with the Day/date at 3hr and the stem/crown at 4 Hr
I am trying to find a movement to fit for a project watch based on a Seiko SQ Sports non runner I bought recently.

As a beginner I think I will be able to replace the movement and add new hands but doing mechanical repairs is, at the moment, beyond me.

The only movement I have found which I think might work is an ETA 2846 but the price of these is uneconomical for a watch which has so far cost me very little and which I am using to practise on.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

To give an idea of my skill level here is a 1920s trench style watch I bought for £5 and have got running my modifying it with a Ronda 1069.

Thanks for looking,
Bern

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7s26B,
Thank you for such a quick reply.

I must be missing something as TimeModule.com has been suggested by someone else but I can't find any 11 1/2 ligne movements there with Daydate 3hr and stem 4hr.

My apologies if I have missed it/them but could you be any more specific as to the item(s) model refs I should look for please?

Bern

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
If you're doing a mod, some flexibility will be required - especially if you want to swap quartz to auto, as autos are often twice as thick. Movement spacers can be changed if the movement is smaller for instance.
You have given a set of rigid requirements, but not even given the original movement number or size, same with the internal case depth etc.
Without being more specific in some areas, and less in others - no-one can help you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7s26b,
Thank you for the guidance on what to specify.
Being very new to all this I am basically learning from scratch so my apologies for not specifying all this correctly.

The original Seiko SQ Sports
Details on the quartz movement
Two 2 jewels japan
Seiko
7123A
Thickness = 3.50/3.60mm (not sure where to measure this from)

Details on the case
040375 (Serial number?)
A7123 8380 [G2]

Thickness from face of bezel/crystal to outside of case back = 9.40mm
Case thickness (excluding bezel and back) = 5.30mm

Details on the dial
Seiko Quartz SQ Sports 100
Japan 7123 -842LR
The Day/Date black on white(?) background is at 3 hr
The stem is at 4 Hr

When I bought this watch it was described as non running. The bezel wouldn't turn and neither would the crown.
I freed the bezel which was glued in place by what seemed like solid saline.
The stem/crown freed up when I pushed the crown in.
The time works but the day/date will only work if I change them by hand.
I think a battery might of been used which was too thick clamping the day date wheels in place as the watch stopped working when I tightened down the case back then started working when I undid it slightly.

I hope this gives enough of a balance of information but I am happy to provide more if I can.

I would like to replace the partially working 7123A movement with either a Seiko or another make compatible quartz movement.

I like the watch but I am also using this as a project to learn more.

Bern

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
I think, as the movement is actually 90% working, that a correct battery would be the best place to start.
Download the 7123 tech pdf - this should give you the movement dimensions as well http://www.thewatchsite.com/14-user...-seiko-calibers-technical-repair-manuals.html.
SR1130SW is the battery number.
If only the day/date change is the problem - have a go at fixing it, as it's a simple mechanism.
If you change movements, you'll be looking at whether the dial feet will fit, is the day date aperture in the right place, plus many other issues like day/date wheels being correct for four o'clock crown (it isn't actually a true four o'clock either).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7s26b,
Thank you again for your guidance and suggestions.

7123 tech pdf - http://www.thewatchsite.com/14-user-...r-manuals.html.
This was very useful

SR1130SW Battery
Now fitted (I have a range of batteries in my spares trays).
Unfortunately the wheels still don't turn without manual winding.

I gather from the pdf that changing the mechanism might be within my ability but due to training over the years I do this sort of thing best with someone guiding me. I am trying to find anyone here in the UK who will teach me the basics but I have been asking on the various forums since May without any luck so far. As I am a professional gardener winter will be my best time to pay someone to instruct me and spend some time with them asking how before I do.

I gather the 7123a is 3:45 not strictly 4 hr - is this correct?

Having done some work on the Services trench watch I have taught myself a fair amount about issues like type of tools and spares to get, dial feet, alignment, thickness of the dial, altering standard case rings, removing and refitting hands, reducing the length of a stem, not jarring the watch when refitting press on case backs (as the sub second loves to pop off it's pinion), lack of customer service from UK suppliers, which forums to ask what questions on, and now how to structure my questions.
This was intentional as it cost me very little and I wasn't under pressure not to brake/loose anything as the Services watches have no value.
It was basically a cheap introduction on how to assemble a watch for someone who had never even taken the back off one.

With the Seiko I would like to go to the next stage which in my case is how to swap a "4 hr" movement.
At the moment my best option would seem to be to take a 3 hr movement, remove the date lettering from the wheel and replace with a repositioned set using water slide decal paper.
I am sure there will be issues such a thickness of the paper, correctly positioning the decal, etc.
But because at this stage I don't have the confidence to attempt a mechanical repair this is my only option?

At the end of the day I am an ex bomb disposal guy who is jut trying to learn a bit about wrist watches not a professional watch maker. So there isn't a commercial imperative simply an interest in the form and function of the marvellous little machines and an aim to do a bit of work with them without a negative impact on my day job.

I have managed to build a watch from parts I bought and assembled from OFREI which I gave to my stepson for his 20th birthday. So I am getting some positive outcomes from all this learning. :) (See attached).

I hope this all makes some sort of sense as to why I am looking for a reasonably priced movement rather than teaching myself watch making,
Bern

Attachments

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Yes, if you look at the watch - it's not true 4 o'clock - nearer 3:18, so you'll need to find a movement which uses the same or possibly lose the day/date.
Whichever movement you use, chances are that you'll need to hunt the correct wheels down, should be no need for decals or stickers as nearly every movement has different wheels specific to crown position ( info normally at the base of the parts list).
If you're adamant you want to do a swap - I've seen the VX43/7N43 listed as a possible 7123 movement alternative.
As always - read the tech pdf and parts lists, most everything you need is there.
Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
7s26b,

Your advice is very much appreciated.

I got some decals printed at my local cartridge world so will give this a try but I do understand this is a "work around" and no where near best practise.

I have a gardening client who is a trustee on the national ex services benevolent trust over here and I am talking to her about watch building/repairing being a possible option for ex servicemen/women especially those suffering physical and/or mental trauma. My main problem is finding someone/people who are competent to act as a teacher to show people the basics as the common mindset for this group (a bit like me) is to be shown in a group or 1 to 1 then to try rather than learning remotely. It also helps to get these people together so they can share experiences, etc.

VX43/7N43.
Thank you suggesting these. I have found Cousins Uk sell the 7N43 but as far as I can tell they don't sell the .65mm, 1.10mm and .20mm minute/hour/seconds hands to go with it. As they are the most often used supplier this is a bit of a show stopper until I can find an alternative source

For your time and patience here's a big THANK YOU from me,
Bern

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 7123 is a very common movement, usually in plain quartz watches from the late 70s and early 80s with the crown at 3.

Search eBay for cheap Seiko's and there'll be a few on there. Sellers don't always list the model number of course but it's usually visible on the face or back. Just searched and saw one end under £10.

Sounds like you shouldn't find swapping the face, hands and day/date rings too hard with your experience ;)

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
The 110/65/20 hands size are common to most all Seiko quartz movements -your original hands will most likely fit.
Cousins will sell hands, but you'll need to provide a case reference or part number.
If you find some hands you like from another Seiko Quartz, let us know here and I'll try to find the part numbers for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GeneralP & 7s26b,

Just popped in for a spot of lunch with a bottle of Burrowing Owl red wine from my Monday morning gardening customer who has just come back from Canada so I might be otherwise engaged this evening. :)
Here's a link to my gardening page to give an idea of what I do for a living now.
www.Facebook.com/Getagoodgardener

A Seiko for under £10 - that sounds like my sort of budget.
Is it working or for spares?

Cousins UK.
I understand that I am very much starting out and anything regarding the working of a watch involves getting involved with technical details but they don't make it easy for a beginner do they (or is it just me). Although I suppose that as people make a living from the watch repair trade then a certain amount of professional expertise keeps the "dabblers" at bay.

I feel like I'm starting to make some progress and thank you both for your support,
Bern

1 - 12 of 12 Posts