The Watch Site banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
You'd have to be careful with loctite. It only hardens in the absence of air. This means that any residual loctite is not going to harden and will "drift" elsewhere like down the center wheel pinion.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Just for the record, I am not advocating the use of glue in a movement. That said, there are some applications for glue including securing some acrylic crystals to cases or even ultraviolet activated adhesives on some of the crystals with retaining rings as evident from the need to heat them in an oven to get them apart. I have also read and used Loctite blue to secure a new threaded case tube to a case as I believe is common practice.

·
Administrator
30,139 Posts
No expert in these matters but most of us are aware that certain crystals are fitted with an adhesive of some type and I have replaced a lot of case tubes on the likes of the 6309/7548 etc and I use loctite 638, using loctite for an application such as replacing the case tube is IMO totally acceptable and good practice again IMO but gluing hands into place is a bodge/work around and if thats the way you want to work or sort a problem thats fine as no ones life will change because of it but in my humble opinion I think its bad practice but hey ho life goes on :)

ps: I bet the case back sticker is fixed with some sort of adhesive as well :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
My favorite adhesive is the very sophisticated, high tech, futuristic product that Citizen utilizes to adhere data rings to fixed and rotating bezels......... It's called, 'double sided tape'. Very state of the art, and has a way of attracting everything within a few centimeters after a couple of decades............... I've used UV glue to re-glue floating micro bezels onto Citizen AT dial faces where their supplier seemed to have forgotten to do so..... Other than that, Testors has always been sniff worthy, to the true connoisseur.
_DSC0002.JPG

21 - 29 of 29 Posts