The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....my wife is working with another nurse who had her Baume et Mercier overhauled at a high end watch repairers here.

She got it home and the seconds hand fell off.
She was so disgusted she didn't take it back and couldn't use it.

My wife and I were disgusted at the price but we know who did
it and that they rip people off ;-(

I thought it must be a manual wind - for that $$. No it's a QUARTZ!!

I've now fitted the seconds hand (added a little glue), buffed and cleaned
the case (they didn't even do that - or maybe she did wear it a bit before the
hand fell off).

It's not going - it'll need a battery.

I could've done it in a couple of hours or less - they would easily do that.

·
Premium Member
10,326 Posts
glue?

·
Administrator
30,141 Posts
I would imagine a watchmaker would close the tube on the second hand so that it was a proper fit or failing that obtain a new second hand but I would of thought under no circumstances would a watch maker glue the hand in to place, if they did I would be pissed beyond belief.

What would that other watchmaker do with it?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I can't believe that the movement wasn't removed from the case and the case cleaned. Tons of dirt, no way was the watch returned to the owner like that!
Unless you're glueing together a broken plastic part (like a spacer), glue and watches shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Rob

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
What else was I supposed to do?
Anything but Glue it
I truly hope most of these gotcha posts are just for responses
As none of us would do this
I know you are more than capable of doing this the correct way
Just my 2 cents
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: rainy daze

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Glued it ??????????
Of course! I glue all my hands on and also, after setting the time, glue the crown down. It's also best to glue the case back on. That way there will be no tampering with it later on..............🔴

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Before you lance the good doctor, there is an application for glue on a hand (although I'm not sure about a small seconds). My 7017-6020 was brilliantly restored by Adrian at VTA. But upon using the flyback function the seconds had slipped slightly so was no longer resting at 12:00. I asked Adrian about it and he mentioned that he now starts to add just a tiny amount of glue (Loctite Blue I believe - Adrian please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to misquote you). Since my -6020 is so original and hard to find in good condition I didn't feel good about resetting that hand on the pinion myself with my emerging fettling capabilities. So I sent it to John with another watch that he was restoring for me and he reset the hand with a tine amount of Blue (I believe) using an oiler. There is a LOT of torque on the seconds hand pinion during a flyback reset so this was a good solution to the problem. It has worked flawlessly since and the hand can be removed in the future if necessary.'
7017-6020 2019.png.jpg

Reactions: RussMurray

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Before you lance the good doctor, there is an application for glue on a hand (although I'm not sure about a small seconds). My 7017-6020 was brilliantly restored by Adrian at VTA. But upon using the flyback function the seconds had slipped slightly so was no longer resting at 12:00. I asked Adrian about it and he mentioned that he now starts to add just a tiny amount of glue (Loctite Blue I believe - Adrian please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to misquote you). Since my -6020 is so original and hard to find in good condition I didn't feel good about resetting that hand on the pinion myself with my emerging fettling capabilities. So I sent it to John with another watch that he was restoring for me and he reset the hand with a tine amount of Blue (I believe) using an oiler. There is a LOT of torque on the seconds hand pinion during a flyback reset so this was a good solution to the problem. It has worked flawlessly since and the hand can be removed in the future if necessary.'
View attachment 453769
Yes, I used a small touch of loctite blue on the end of the sweep second pinion before setting the sweep second hand to keep it from slipping off the mark. I would not have thought to do this but if Adrian has used this method, okay by me. Yes, I could have tried tightening the sweep second hand tube with a pin vice but no guarantees here as this is a very delicate operation and may result in damage or destruction of the sweep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts