The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two original Speedtimer bracelets with about 100 years of combined filth. Pretty amazing grossness out of the ultrasonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had quite a few like that, you wonder what people do to get a watch in that sort of state, particularly if it's a ladies watch!!🤮

·
Registered
26,015 Posts
Bracelets, I always put a couple drops of bleach in the Liquid. Hydrogen Peroxide helps also.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tod - What cleaning solution did you use?

For bracelets I use a generic powdered jewelry cleaner which looks and smells just like automatic dishwasher detergent. It does a great job.

Reactions: Vette Enthusiast

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use standard washing up liquid (dishwash to our U.S. friends), and a soft toothbrush to remove any left over heavy deposits. God bless ultrasound cleaners, I used to do it all by hands, UGH!😱

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I have an ultrasonic cleaning machine - I never use it. They're not great. I use an old toothbrush and cleaning solutions ending with dish detergent and boiling water.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have an ultrasonic cleaning machine - I never use it. They're not great. I use an old toothbrush and cleaning solutions ending with dish detergent and boiling water.
I’ve had mixed results with my two ultrasonic cleaners. The first is an older L&R that died on me and needed some rewiring. While the L&R was out of commission I bought one of those heated Chinese units that sell on eBay. Eventually I tracked down some new parts and repaired the L&R.

What I’ve found so far is that the L&R operates at a higher frequency and generally seems to do a better job. The heater in the no-name Chinese unit goes up to 80 Celsius (176 Fahrenheit). I’ve run it at 70 Celsius but that didn’t seem to make a big difference over the hot tap water that I was using in the L&R. For really old, hard crud, both units seem better at softening it than actually dislodging it. That could also be a function of the solution I’ve been using, which is usually a detergent rather than a solvent.

That said, the ultrasonic cleaner seems best at removing “normal” dirt, i.e. stuff whose age is measurable in years rather than decades.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts