The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
it almost brought a tear to my eye watching this.

Absolutely fantastic. Good bless the owner for all he has done.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
What are the chances ? This guy spends $345.00 on a Rolex Paul Newman and never wears it because it's too nice, a Ref. 6263 that ends up being worth $500,000-$700,000 providing he never wears it. If he does it immediately goes down to the $400,000 price. Some peoples kids, huh ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am dubious about this one, it just seems too good to be true, and I am not sure that story checks out he is claiming that it is unworn but how did that sticker get so worn? Also (and I can't be sure) there appears to be some wear inside the clasp. I want to believe but, I would not buy that watch. You gotta admit that it was good television, they are getting views at a staggering rate which is what I believe they were after.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am dubious about this one, it just seems too good to be true, and I am not sure that story checks out he is claiming that it is unworn but how did that sticker get so worn? Also (and I can't be sure) there appears to be some wear inside the clasp. I want to believe but, I would not buy that watch. You gotta admit that it was good television, they are getting views at a staggering rate which is what I believe they were after.
I did not get the impression he said he never wore the watch but wore it sparingly and only on special occasions. When not in use it was locked in his safe. He originally purchased the watch for diving, go figure, but decided it was too nice to dive in. Still a very desirable and collectable piece given its near NOS condition with all boxes and papers.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
I agree - it's getting harder to believe anything these days. Just when you think something is genuine, it's proved otherwise.

However, I'm going to chose to believe this one. It took place on a reputable show and it's a feel good moment. An it's no doubt a grail of grail watches.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This makes me wish that I had purchased a Rolex Oyster, around 1980 that I was looking at for $1000. That was a lot of money back in 1980 though. What about all those comic books that I sold for a penny each, they must be worth thousands of dollars today ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My best friend of over 35 years is also a collector but he never sells anything:) Unlike me, lol. He has two very interesting Rolexes that share a couple of commonalities. Both were purchased in St Thomas, one a 1016 Rolex Explorer he purchased in 1980 after his 1st season as Captain of a crewed sailing yacht based in St. Thomas, the other a 6263 Rolex Daytona (not a PN dial) that his mother purchased for his father (before his birth) also in St Thomas, possibly even the same store but no way to tell. She chose the Daytona for a few factors, one his father was a navigator both at sea and in the air, but the main reason she chose the Daytona was that it was the only Rolex in the whole store that they offered to discount below retail. His father passed about 18 years ago and when the watch became his, including inner/outer boxes, original receipt, manuals and warranty paper he wanted to get it serviced. I advised him to send it to Rolex Service Center Dallas TX, so it now has additionally a service box and papers plus he purchased a new heavy oyster 19mm for the watch at the time of service. The original 19mm rivet oyster bracelet shows usage and wear but is still serviceable. I have kept him informed as to value on his Dad's Daytona and it may be that he will someday chose to sell it, and while I am sure some would disagree, I would estimate it's current value at, or over, $100K, It sits in his safe deposit box at the bank and has never really had any wrist time while he has owned it.
6263.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts