The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would end the story in this section it took a little bit of time but I finally managed to sort this out with a donor movement.

1610_untitled_001.jpg

I have polished up the crystal and done the best I could with the grotty hand. I had to give it a coat of silver paint applied as thinly as I could and then relumed it.

0920-1.jpg

The dial looks ok when worn, the marks show up worse in the photos. I'm pleased with it anyway.

0920-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have polished up the crystal and done the best I could with the grotty hand. I had to give it a coat of silver paint applied as thinly as I could and then relumed it.
Looks very nice.
I had similar problem with a decorated crystal and learned that real silver paint is expensive and found at few shops only. The one for models produces horrible results. Better to use a silver marker then.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, yes I love the blue. It is particularly nice when the light catches it at certain angles.
Never thought about a silver marker, great idea. I actually used the tiniest amount of aerosol chrome wheel paint, it's quite thin but dries so quickly it is not great to work with.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Good job Dave! I've been looking at chrome Tamiya spray paint because I have a set of old hands here I'd like to try it on. Might give it a shot.

Ps your movement came in handy, thank you. But I had a disaster with the dial. Will update the other thread soon but basically the paint flaked off with the slightest of rubs with rodico. Whole watch had seen too much water so that's that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Guy. Glad to hear it came in useful. Too bad about the dial, I've had that happen to me. You could kick yourself for touching it couldn't you?
Hope it works out ok, look forward to updates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts