The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,

there has been an interesting turn of events.

There is a seller on Yahoo.jp that regularly (but in small quantity) sells complete C56QS rockers.
Until now, I had dismissed these as extracted (metal corrector wheel) parts from early 56LMs.

However, yesterday I found this completed auction:
http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r124011581

Wing Duck

The same seller is also offering sets of metal corrector wheels - which have a V-notch, that neither the original C56 wheels nor the C52 wheel have - i. e., these are newly manufactured.

I already briefly discussed the topic with Noah and we are both of the opinion that this should be investigated further, at least to find out if the wheels are of appropriate quality and (I consider this to be important) how they were manufactured and if large quantities (> 50 pcs or something) are available - and if so, for which price (I personally consider the auction end price too hefty [30 USD or so per wheel] to be a viable replacement part for the 56 LM at least).

Now how to acquire the above mentioned information?
I have a FromJapan account that I could use to forward some questions to the seller, but I do not think I can get the seller to directly communicate this way.

Ideas?

Please let me know how you feel about all of this.

Best
Hermann

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi Hermann,

I have JAUCE account, albeit I haven't used it for a while, so could acquire those fairly easily.

I agree that the cost is in excess of the project goals. Particularly with the way the Aussie dollar is right now, that's about $40, or 2 hours work for most people. 3 beers for others. I'm not sure what's the best universal currency measure. 10 big macs?

I'm almost certain the triangular bit is a notch so you can clip the part on without having to stake it apart, a fairly good idea and I think that would work with a metal part.

As for how that is made, it's not a huge endeavour on a CNC lathe. You would need a mill as well. But it would have the side sections cut into profile from a stock bar, then the middle would be bored, then the part would be cut from the stock with a parting tool. The hard part is cutting the profile. That would be milled into the side of the bar.

I'd probably be prepared to pay about that per part, but wouldn't be very happy with it.

What's the general resale for a run of the mill 5606 these days? $150-180US? It's a poor investment for resale value, but if you're keeping the piece it's a good investment.

As for contacting the seller, I have a Japanese colleague that now owes me some favours, but I'm not sure if I could rely on him to do this kind of work. So I agree with Hermann, this would be quite difficult.

·
Special Member
1,834 Posts
This is an interesting development. Just looking at the image they seem to be quite well made and designed. We would have to get one to test it actually works but it is promising.

I initially thought that the notch may have been from the production process but I now think that this is to allow the wheel to slip when it meets too much resistance.

The price is quite high and probably too high for most people with the relatively low prices on most 56 model watches. I would hope that in higher quantities the price could drop significantly. They do not seem to have any more units currently for sale so it will be interesting to see if more units come up for sale.

I have a Buyee account but it is not easy to directly communicate with Japanese sellers. It might be worth seeing it we can get a Japan based forum member involved who would be able to contact the seller a little easier.

·
Super Moderator
3,226 Posts
The quality appears good, and in line for what I had hoped for our project. Perhaps the price is telling as to what we would encounter in our own endeavors, I think that is just the way it is with custom projects- always more than you want to pay :)

I agree it would be ideal if we could get a native speaker to ask the seller if they would/could sell in bulk, which would help distribute these to the English-speaking world. While I wouldn't want to spend $30 a pop on a 5606, I wouldn't mind paying that on my 5626 Chronometer's auickset issue, and suspect other collectors would feel the same way about their higher-tiered 56's.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your comments, guys!

@ Noah: I do agree re price: 30 USD is a TAD expensive, but ok I suppose provided the quality is high for 562xs and beyond.

Let me propose something:
I will go ahead and try to contact the seller via FromJapan, asking if larger quantities (> 50 pcs) could be supplied and if so, for which price.

HOWEVER:
Do you think we should also consider using parts from calibre 52?
Peter has done some work on this and while the corrector wheels are not a 100% interchangable, they can be swapped with some modification to the inner diameter and they work ok (however not perfectly, since the 52 corrector wheel is a good bit slimmer).
For smaller quantities, this might also be an (intermittent) solution, what would you think?

Best
H

·
Super Moderator
3,226 Posts
Hermann,
Thank you for offering to contact the seller, that would be great to see what they can do on price and quantity.

Here are my thoughts on substituting the 52 corrector gear:
Could the functionality be made whole again if one were to fashion a spacer ring that elevated the corrector gear up to better engage with the date dial and/or intermediate day corrector wheel? I'm assuming that is the problem, but perhaps not.
One other important aspect- aren't those going to be as rare or even more rare than finding 5606 rockers? I tried ordering from at least one or two material houses with no joy in the past few months. I would also think that production of the 52's was much lower than the 56, being found within higher value models.
That said, I think we could methodically go through the more common calibers to see if a substitute gear could be used with a minimum of modification, though killing a bunch of spare parts or donor watches in limited supply themselves may be more wasteful of resources than having a new wheel made, ethically speaking. If I can find the time, I plan on perusing the old blue book tech guides for gears that look similar in size and construction to the 56, that could be modified to fit. But ultimately, I still feel like this may be the wrong path to go down, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,

unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to forward our request to the seller.
The FJ guys haven't been of help yet and are pretty stubborn :)

Does any of you have a means to contact the seller?
I will try again as soon as the seller has the items relisted (which FJ claims to be prerequisite for establishing contact).

Re 52 QS corrector: Noah, I absolutely agree that these parts would not be too easy to procure either nor this represents a real, final solution. I was just thinking out loud that if procuring these YJ replacement wheels is not possible in appropriate quantity, using parts from other movements may be a temporary crutch...

Best
Hermann

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Noah and Adrian,

message received - parts from calibre 52 do not seem to be a viable solution.

The wheels have reappeared on Yahoo.jp, so I have contacted FromJapan again to forward our question regarding procuring larger quantities of the part - hopefully this time with success :)

Best
Hermann

1 - 9 of 9 Posts