citizen bracelet help - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Points: 0 (+)
Default citizen bracelet help

hey all. i need some help regarding the bracelet on my just purchased citizen AW1490 eco drive.

i hope i explain this properly.

the backside of the bracelet has the little arrows to show the direction to punch the pins out (to remove a link). I did so.

the pin that came out is uniform in its cylindrical shape. i am used to seeing a pin that is flaired on one end, which will wedge in there upon re-insertion.

but that is all that came out....just the uniform cylindrical pin. when i went to put the bracelet back together, the pin now just slides right on out the other side.

so i figure there must be a collar or something that i didn't notice, and then promptly dropped in the carpet, so i repeated the process with a different link. nope...no collar, and the same result.

what am i doing wrong?
boathead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 453
Points: 8 (+)
Default

Can you flip the pin over and see if it slides thru easily from both directions?
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,907
Points: 40 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathead View Post
hey all. i need some help regarding the bracelet on my just purchased citizen AW1490 eco drive.

i hope i explain this properly.

the backside of the bracelet has the little arrows to show the direction to punch the pins out (to remove a link). I did so.

the pin that came out is uniform in its cylindrical shape. i am used to seeing a pin that is flaired on one end, which will wedge in there upon re-insertion.

but that is all that came out....just the uniform cylindrical pin. when i went to put the bracelet back together, the pin now just slides right on out the other side.

so i figure there must be a collar or something that i didn't notice, and then promptly dropped in the carpet, so i repeated the process with a different link. nope...no collar, and the same result.

what am i doing wrong?



There should be a friction fit collar in the middle of the bracelet that keeps the pin in place. It's easy to loose them.

A watchmaker and often a jeweler should have one if you need a replacement.



Please when typing - use capitals at the start of sentences.
__________________
Paul ;-)
nzwatchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Points: 0 (+)
Default

thanks folks. i'll work on the caps.
boathead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Found the 3 of the four missing collars. 2 hours on my hands and knees kneading through carpet fibers. yikes.

Last edited by boathead; 10-03-2019 at 11:37 AM.
boathead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Territory of Hawaii
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathead View Post
Found the 3 of the four missing collars. 2 hours on my hands and knees kneading through carpet fibers. yikes.
The true sign of a beginning watch repair enthusiast is a tendency to sweep the tile floor around your work desk VERY CAREFULLY, then look in the dust pan with a magnifying visor.
Don't tell me I'm the only one who does this?

So THAT'S where that circlip ended up!

Aloha

Try a magnet next time
holonalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SL
Posts: 256
Points: 3 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by holonalu View Post
The true sign of a beginning watch repair enthusiast is a tendency to sweep the tile floor around your work desk VERY CAREFULLY, then look in the dust pan with a magnifying visor.
Don't tell me I'm the only one who does this?

So THAT'S where that circlip ended up!

Aloha

Try a magnet next time

I've done better...in my early days (last year), I had misplaced two rotors from a C300 unknowingly. I found them by accidentally stepping on them while barefoot. Fortunately they were steel and I'm lightfooted!
jay48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 453
Points: 8 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathead View Post
Found the 3 of the four missing collars. 2 hours on my hands and knees kneading through carpet fibers. yikes.
Yuck! Glad you found some. Next to take the bracelet apart in a shoe box so the parts can't go anywhere. Good luck
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 9
Points: 0 (+)
Default

live and learn. the thing is that i didn't even know about pins and collars, so i didn't know to look for the collars. had never seen them before.
boathead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.