Can anyone recommend a good person for Seiko 6105 with less than 2 months turnaround? - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Amin S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 60
Points: 5 (+)
Default Can anyone recommend a good person for Seiko 6105 with less than 2 months turnaround?

I've been Googling a lot to research this, and it seems that the few people who are frequently recommended for 6105 service (Spencer Klein, Jack @ IWW, Duncan @ TheWatchBloke) are either not accepting new jobs or take a long, long time to do the work.

I understand that people with a specialized skill and very high quality work can get behind in their work. And I know that things like family circumstances and illness can play a role.

But I have no interest in sending my watch to someone for an indeterminate period of time.

I am looking for someone who can do the following for my 6105 Ebay purchase:

1) Service movement

2) Replace all seals

3) Replace the crystal with one I am providing

4) Not change the overall appearance of the watch - leave intact the dial, hands, case, etc

5) Send me the watch back within 2 months of receipt

6) Send me back any original bits which had to be replaced


Optional things which would be nice but are not required:

1) Minimize the appearance of the very small bits of blank funk in the corners of a couple lume plots without otherwise replacing or affecting the original lume

2) Repairing the lock mechanism


I was thinking of hiring this fellow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-6105-...-/333283786591


Has anyone here used him and can recommend, or is there someone else you can recommend for the work?
Amin S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
rileynp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,855
Points: 25 (+)
Default

Just curious, and think of this as a thought exercise for the group: would you be willing to pay any of the above individuals 3 times their normal rate for them to drop all other jobs to give yours priority, meeting your 2-month demand? Would you pay them 6 times their normal rate if they were to turn it around in one month? We pay more for expedited shipping services, I wonder if the same could be applied to other services where demands differ from client to client?
__________________
--Noah R.
rileynp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following Member Awarded A Point to rileynp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Amin S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 60
Points: 5 (+)
Default

I was wondering about that too and was thinking that in my case the answer is “Probably not”. I don’t know how much they charge for existing service, but let’s say it was $500. I bought a decent, working 6105 for $1900. If I pay them $1500 for two month turnaround, that brings my cost to $3400. I could probably get a really nice 6105 for $3400 without waiting 2-3 months to get it, no?

I would rather pay 25% more to someone who is 25% less skilled and 95% less famous if such an option exists to get a quick turnaround and good enough results.

Now if we were talking about a $10,000 watch and $500 service, I probably would be willing to pay three times as much for 2 month turnaround instead of 2 year-ish turnaround.

Last edited by Amin S; 09-01-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Amin S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Grammarofdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US of A
Posts: 4,574
Points: 219 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileynp View Post
Just curious, and think of this as a thought exercise for the group: would you be willing to pay any of the above individuals 3 times their normal rate for them to drop all other jobs to give yours priority, meeting your 2-month demand? Would you pay them 6 times their normal rate if they were to turn it around in one month? We pay more for expedited shipping services, I wonder if the same could be applied to other services where demands differ from client to client?
We see this with home improvement contractors. They take higher paying clients in front of normal rate clients who then wait way longer than they were told up front.
Grammarofdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,833
Points: 39 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileynp View Post
Just curious, and think of this as a thought exercise for the group: would you be willing to pay any of the above individuals 3 times their normal rate for them to drop all other jobs to give yours priority, meeting your 2-month demand? Would you pay them 6 times their normal rate if they were to turn it around in one month? We pay more for expedited shipping services, I wonder if the same could be applied to other services where demands differ from client to client?





Watchmakers (including me) wouldn't work faster for more $$ generally.



The price is the price and we'll do it when we do it
__________________
Paul ;-)
nzwatchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,149
Points: 72 (+)
Default

I think I wouldn't want anyone to rush a watch restoration.. part of the reason that some of the repair shops are so busy is that each watch has it's turn to receive the full attention of the watchmaker.

But I do agree that I wouldn't want to wait two years to have something worked on... it's a long time to wait... especially if you've just purchased the watch and you want to wear it or maybe show it off a bit.. waiting two years for that would be hard to do.

I have seen the listing on eBay for watch servicing and I don't know if I'd send my watch anywhere unless I knew that several other people had used that service center and had a great experience there.

Additionally, buying a "service" on eBay seems odd...with the outcome being subjective on either side.

I'm sure there's someone who can do the two month turnaround though.. I've had some great results with watchmakers here on the forum.

Best,

Mike
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Amin S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 60
Points: 5 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
I think I wouldn't want anyone to rush a watch restoration.. part of the reason that some of the repair shops are so busy is that each watch has it's turn to receive the full attention of the watchmaker.

But I do agree that I wouldn't want to wait two years to have something worked on... it's a long time to wait... especially if you've just purchased the watch and you want to wear it or maybe show it off a bit.. waiting two years for that would be hard to do.

I have seen the listing on eBay for watch servicing and I don't know if I'd send my watch anywhere unless I knew that several other people had used that service center and had a great experience there.

Additionally, buying a "service" on eBay seems odd...with the outcome being subjective on either side.

I'm sure there's someone who can do the two month turnaround though.. I've had some great results with watchmakers here on the forum.

Best,

Mike
Thanks, that is helpful. I have a watchmaker locally who has done other work for me with good quality and a fast turnaround. Does the 6105 have special requirements, or would any good watchmaker be able to replace the gaskets, crystal, and service the movement? I ordered the crystal and gasket replacements, so I'd be able to provide those to him.
Amin S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moderator
 
TheTigerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 27,357
Points: 550 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
Thanks, that is helpful. I have a watchmaker locally who has done other work for me with good quality and a fast turnaround. Does the 6105 have special requirements, or would any good watchmaker be able to replace the gaskets, crystal, and service the movement? I ordered the crystal and gasket replacements, so I'd be able to provide those to him.
In reality it is a pretty simple straight forward movement so should be no problem.
__________________

"You haven't failed until you quit trying"

"You don't make mistakes, mistakes make you "
TheTigerUK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GuyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North East
Posts: 7,187
Points: 356 (+)
Default

Your local watchmaker sounds like he is best to meet your requests, I'd do that if I were you.
GuyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Grammarofdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US of A
Posts: 4,574
Points: 219 (+)
Default

Nothing about the 6105 should pose any problem for your local guy except if they need a spare part.
Grammarofdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Amin S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 60
Points: 5 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyJ View Post
Your local watchmaker sounds like he is best to meet your requests, I'd do that if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarofdesign View Post
Nothing about the 6105 should pose any problem for your local guy except if they need a spare part.
Thank you both. I'm going to go that route.
Amin S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N. Ireland
Posts: 287
Points: 9 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
I was thinking of hiring this fellow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIKO-6105-...-/333283786591
Two month turnaround in the description...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammarofdesign View Post
Nothing about the 6105 should pose any problem for your local guy except if they need a spare part.
Changing a crown gasket on these isn't as easy as on most Seiko's. The crown wasn't designed to be serviceable and you're supposed to replace the crown if you want a new gasket, but if you fit a nos crown you'll probably discover the 30+ year old gasket inside has hardened and is useless.
Dynam0humm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,833
Points: 39 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
Two month turnaround in the description...




Changing a crown gasket on these isn't as easy as on most Seiko's. The crown wasn't designed to be serviceable and you're supposed to replace the crown if you want a new gasket, but if you fit a nos crown you'll probably discover the 30+ year old gasket inside has hardened and is useless.



Don't change the seal / don't take it in water. win/win
__________________
Paul ;-)
nzwatchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,887
Points: 29 (+)
Default

If you aim to wear it, get the seals done!!, humid air and salty sweat will kill/degrade your watch as badly as seawater - just more slowly. Err on the side of caution.
__________________
Just Don't Matter what you say, they'll be breaking anyway. Just Dodgy Montres gives advice and the ignorant say thanks and nice, but wait until your montre breaks and God will run and hide his face.
7s26b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Amin S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 60
Points: 5 (+)
Default

I ended up calling Jack at IWW, and he quoted a two-day turnaround to do the crystal and gasket replacement!

I sent him my watch along with the replacement parts, and sure enough, two days later it is on it's way back to me.

Obviously it is a much faster turnaround since I didn't ask for a movement service. But the watch is keeping good time, so I'm in no rush for that.

Very pleased!
Amin S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.