Would you or do you pay to opt out of on-line ads? - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mwadner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Metro Seattle
Posts: 5,754
Points: 336 (+)
Default Would you or do you pay to opt out of on-line ads?

One of the many things I appreciate about SCWF is the fact that I'm not bombarded with on-line ads from people wanting to take my money. In fact, it's about the only place I can go and be left alone by advertisers, which is becoming rare. So a big thanks to the people who make this possible!

With that said, when given the choice, do you pay the fee(s) to opt out from on-line ads? And if so, when do you decide to pay and when do you decide to suffer the consequences of not paying?

Let's not even discuss how the ads help pay for the cost of running a website, blah blah blah. I think most people are aware of how this business model works and how there is so much more involved than just that aspect, often times some very bad aspects.

But I've found if there is something on-line or in an app I really value, I'll pay to be free from at least the visible marketing aspect. And I don't mind contributing a fair dollar amount to something I value.

Thoughts?
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth …. (from "The International")
mwadner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 129
Points: 5 (+)
Default

I love to pay for the services that I am regularly using that offer some real value. Problem today is that so few people are willing to pay that many times the authors or developers don't even bother to offer a paid option, so it is either suffer or walk away. Some of those are on Patreon or similar service, and I always support them when possible.

On a related note, few months back I introduced https://pi-hole.net to my local network, and it feels like using a different, better internet. Highly recommended!
Riba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mwadner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Metro Seattle
Posts: 5,754
Points: 336 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riba View Post
I love to pay for the services that I am regularly using that offer some real value. Problem today is that so few people are willing to pay that many times the authors or developers don't even bother to offer a paid option, so it is either suffer or walk away. Some of those are on Patreon or similar service, and I always support them when possible.

On a related note, few months back I introduced https://pi-hole.net to my local network, and it feels like using a different, better internet. Highly recommended!
That's actually a really good point - we've gotten spoiled with so much on-line stuff being "free" that there is a willingness to suffer through almost anything to not have to pay. If you pay, you're somehow getting ripped off. I guess its a mindset ... Maybe paid options are not an option because developers will make less from that revenue than if they let the ads roll thru ....
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth …. (from "The International")
mwadner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zeke441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 3,328
Points: 288 (+)
Default

We do have ads now Mike. At least in the U.S. Mazda and Rakuten pinned posts in every sub section. It doesnt really bother me if its generating revenue to keep our access free. At 1st it looked like it was bumping threads which i wouldnt care for, but its not, so thats okay. Ad free for a nominal fee is okay depending on how much and what for. Not for a forum though, too many free competitors and we wouldnt have some of the people we have here now if there was a fee, we would be stuck on that other one. Obviously this forum is sustaining itself through sponsors, as is most others. I do like how the SCWF doesn't obstruct our use with ad bombardment too. Most forums have a side bar that ads are ran on which we do not see here either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
__________________
"A man that wears a watch shows that being on time is important"
Pops - 1979 when he gave me my 1st real watch.

Seiko Saviors
zeke441 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 540
Points: 41 (+)
Default

I just went the Hollywood route and tried the VIP no-ad option with TapaTalk. So far it gets a thumbs up from me. In the past I would consistently hit the ads and get catapulted away somewhere. I’ll see if I want to keep it after the trial period.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mwadner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Metro Seattle
Posts: 5,754
Points: 336 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke441 View Post
We do have ads now Mike. At least in the U.S. Mazda and Rakuten pinned posts in every sub section. It doesnt really bother me if its generating revenue to keep our access free. At 1st it looked like it was bumping threads which i wouldnt care for, but its not, so thats okay. Ad free for a nominal fee is okay depending on how much and what for. Not for a forum though, too many free competitors and we wouldnt have some of the people we have here now if there was a fee, we would be stuck on that other one. Obviously this forum is sustaining itself through sponsors, as is most others. I do like how the SCWF doesn't obstruct our use with ad bombardment too. Most forums have a side bar that ads are ran on which we do not see here either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Agreed to it all. It would be nice of SCWF had a "DONATE" button via Paypal. I'd kick in a few bucks every now and then to help with costs.
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth …. (from "The International")
mwadner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zeke441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 3,328
Points: 288 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadner View Post
Agreed to it all. It would be nice of SCWF had a "DONATE" button via Paypal. I'd kick in a few bucks every now and then to help with costs.
Some would, most would not. I know this from experience. I ran a gaming community for years with a donate what you can. My self and about 4 others provided the finances, the other 60 or so members did nothing. Our server was $120/month for a dedicated that we ran our games and forums on, plus another $125/year for the vBulletin license. It always ends up the same few paying, and the same deadbeats coming up with excuses. It's not fair to the ones that pay to carry everyone else. Seems like a good system here, it's been up for years. Hopefully the owners don't see this post and get crazy ideas.
__________________
"A man that wears a watch shows that being on time is important"
Pops - 1979 when he gave me my 1st real watch.

Seiko Saviors
zeke441 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Moderator
 
TheTigerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I want to be a Pedant :)
Posts: 26,950
Points: 504 (+)
Default

I think many of us expect or want free but sometimes its nice to be your own man.

I used photobucket for a long time but you was at there mercy if there was ever a problem, I now mostly use my own website to host my photo's and other stuff, it cost me an amount monthly but i'm in control (to a certain extent ).

I give a donation now and again to Wikipedia as I read articles are there often, whether it helps I don't know.

We are pretty lucky on the likes of the SCWF imo but say it quietly
__________________

"You haven't failed until you quit trying"

"You don't make mistakes, mistakes make you "
TheTigerUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 04:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 129
Points: 5 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadner View Post
That's actually a really good point - we've gotten spoiled with so much on-line stuff being "free" that there is a willingness to suffer through almost anything to not have to pay. If you pay, you're somehow getting ripped off. I guess its a mindset ... Maybe paid options are not an option because developers will make less from that revenue than if they let the ads roll thru ....
I am sure they tested it and you are right. Unfortunately that leaves the few of us who don't mind paying in limbo....a dying breed, I suppose.

People are also shocked when they hear I am paying for my email service. Email is important to me and it proved many times over is was more than worth it. My wife did not see the need until one day Google deleted her gmail account for no reason and it was impossible to reach anyone for help. They have given it for "free" and they don't owe you anything.

Now she is paying.
Riba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.