The Watch Site banner

Part 6: Original 6309s

21K views 68 replies 17 participants last post by  TheTigerUK 
#1 ·

• I have had a collector of vintage dive watches contact me after reading about this project and he is thinking of offering me quite a lot of original 6309s. He is willing to offer these to me because he said he would like to help this project along, and they will all be original apart from some may have the correct flat after market hands fitted. Some it appears may need crystals or inserts. He has agreed after some hard negotiating to send me a couple of samples for me to have a look at. They will be with me soon, if any one is interested let me know.
[/list]

#2 ·
As you said, there's nothing in the rules that limits you to one. I'd be interested in another one, but I'll queue up behind other people who need one to get started – there's no point in being greedy about this project...

I'd like to make an OEM restoration and a Desert Diver or alternatively an all-black stealth version... Speaking of which, does anyone know where you can get your hands on some black lume, like on the Bell and Ross Phantom?

#4 ·
So would I. I'm still not feeling confident enough to buy a 6309 and get what I pay for it. Some direction would be nice. This is a hobby for me and I don't have money to through away ;)

Thanks for keeping this project going!

#9 ·
I'm very interested, looks like I will have to spend more than what I thought though :( , oh well. By the way John, thanks for organising this project, I bet it has taken a fair effort on your behalf to get it organised, I know that I would never have the time, so do appreciate all your efforts.

Col

#13 ·
I only just found this project, so I need to get up to speed sharpish.

I'm also fairly new to Seikos and buying watches knowing what you're getting (watch collecting for me was walking into a store and picking the one that looked the best).

So can anyone help in finding a watch to work on? Where to get one, around how much to pay, and how to get one that is in a good enough/bad enough condition to take on for this project?

Thanks.

#14 ·
lalanda said:
I only just found this project, so I need to get up to speed sharpish.

I'm also fairly new to Seikos and buying watches knowing what you're getting (watch collecting for me was walking into a store and picking the one that looked the best).

So can anyone help in finding a watch to work on? Where to get one, around how much to pay, and how to get one that is in a good enough/bad enough condition to take on for this project?

Thanks.
Hi, welcome...

Until one of the scholars surfaces with more detailed answers, these are a couple of excellent resources if you haven't already read them here -

HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6309 DIVER - A Collector's Buying Guide

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,153.0.html

The Original Diver's Reference

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,1633.0.html

Happy reading! Cheers, H

#15 ·
Thanks so much. Very interesting read. I would prefer the bigger case (to contrast with my other watches), but I'm not going to be all that picky, after all this first watch has a large chance of becoming project version 1.0...

The question that I see as more difficult is getting one that is in the right condition. I want this to be a watch that when I wear it I think "I brought that back to life a little" rather than "I took that apart and successfully put it back together". So I need one that's not recently serviced, etc. but also not way past a beginner's scope (Unless I'm completely wrong and I need a mint one to make this a guided tour of the movement.)

(Let me apologise now for the reckless use of double spacing in my posts.)

#17 ·
Hi all

As I got frustrated searching on ebay for a good subject for this project, I got to thinking about reaching out to a Philippine source that I purchased a refurbished 7040 from a few months ago. Just to ask if he had any unrestored examples that he would sell "as is". He came back and said that he does and he would and said $58 per. This struck me as a good price for something that my untrained hands are going to have a go at.

He said he could supply a good number of them if there were buyers.

Now.....this is a Philippine source but one that I had good luck with on a prior purchase. I cannot vouch for what he has or is offering....but he will send me pics in the next day.

Let me know if you are interested in this avenue. My thinking is that if they are un restored then they are probably in semi original state. Personally I like cosmetic over wabi so I am probably going to go this route.

Chuck

#20 ·
Hi Chuck,

I too would be interested to hear about your experience with the watches from the Philippines. I've been looking on eBay and something like 70-80% of the 6309's are from somewhere in the Philippines. Now, I'm sure some of them are dodgy rip-offs, but they can't all be crap!

#23 ·
SO....I am going to order for myself. I suppose we could save some shipping costs by getting them to me in Toronto area then shipping out from there but that may be more hassle than its worth.

Any more takers? Thoughts? If you pm me your email address I can send some pictures of the examples he provided.

#24 ·
cwood said:
SO....I am going to order for myself. I suppose we could save some shipping costs by getting them to me in Toronto area then shipping out from there but that may be more hassle than its worth.

Any more takers? Thoughts? If you pm me your email address I can send some pictures of the examples he provided.
I'd be interested in seeing some pictures - as this is a restoration project, i'd far prefer getting an original (if banged up) condition watch that hasn't been touched rather than one that's been restored badly. PM sent for pictures. Oh, and how much is the seller asking for them, seeing as the fully restored watches are going for up to $100 USD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.