The Watch Site banner

When is a Seiko not a Seiko ?

1K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Seiko Hoarder 
#1 ·
or any watch not what it pertains to be for that matter ?

By this I mean how much after market/fake parts do we or will we accept before we can no longer accept our original Seiko (any watch) is an "original" example ?

Personally for me after market/generic gaskets, crystals even some inserts are acceptable but thats about it.

For me even if the parts/spares are stupidly expensive but still available how ever long the search I would go for them or go without rather than fit a after market/fake part.

I can see the day coming where the only option will be after market parts if you want to make a watch look usable but still won't be for me, I would rather go without, anal perhaps but i've been called a lot worse:)

#2 ·
Hi John - I think these two images sum up your thread. :eek:

However, I think original movement + original case qualify the watch as a Seiko. Those are the two main components IMO. Hands, dial and crown could be considered consumable items based upon how they seem to wear heavier than other parts of the watch and often need replacing.

I think the bigger question (and with heated debate) comes down to what is considered an "original Seiko".

Attachments

#3 ·
I would say we have to use non OEM gaskets.

Crystals/glass are difficult because we don't really know if they are original or OEM even. I only replace when the old is beyond repair and refinish where possible.

A 3rd party dial would kill it for me BUT replacing a damaged OEM dial with a close OEM equivalent dial, well I have done it once but only when absolutely to only option.

As for movement parts well I would fit OEM from another movement.

#8 ·
This is the watch fan’s equivalent of the old philosophical problem about replacing every piece of timber on a ship haha.

That being said I’m of the opinion that AM gaskets, crystals and (for applicable models) pusher springs are acceptable. Also bracelets if we’re considering those, as I’ve had some bad luck with original bracelet quality

#9 ·
Original Seiko are only those made in Japan, those made in China are fakes (a joke);)

These are only items, with time their parts are destroyed, and the original ones are missing on the market.
The one with the replaced parts will still be Seiko, only less worth than 100% original.

#11 · (Edited)
I've still got the original gas and oil in my 67 Camaro and the Paint is old and dull but It's all original I tell Ya!

Kidding aside, Original parts are great but I have no problem replacing normal wear parts like crystals + gaskets with "Good Quality" replacement parts. Replacement dials, hands, and bezel inserts are a last resort and I refrain from using them.

#12 ·
I'm with you on this, except I don't own a 67 Camaro. (but I do own a lovely 1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible :))

The only red line for me is dials. I will never accept an am (fake) dial. That's it. I think the aftermarket offers a great service for other items when the quality is right. (similar with classic cars)

#21 · (Edited)
Normal service parts like gaskets, even a crystal or changing a strap is still a Seiko. Those are wear and tear consumable items. Like changing gaskets, brake liners, etc. in a vintage car. Those are parts that are meant to be replaced, need to be replaced on a regular schedule. The moment you put in after market parts it becomes a mod. Like a dial, insert, etc
Incorrect Seiko parts and it's a Franken. My opinion anyways.

#23 ·
I remember Guy bringing up the ship of Theseus the last time this came up.

Ah but then that watch wouldn't be original. :)

I'm being facetious, I know. But the Ship of Theseus, or Trigger's Broom, is an interesting quandary.

I agree though Paul, being able to source movement parts at the least would be great if still possible, let alone knowing Seiko could do it with genuine replacements. But like John's thread about standardisation and as David says, that foresight wasn't there and I'd imagine it is simply not possible to do this.

I also think they are making enough money as things stand. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.