The Watch Site banner

Seiko GL831 ???

786 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnZ 
#1 ·
WOW !!! :eek:hmy::eek:hmy::eek:hmy: That's all I Have.....254408044348

#3 ·
I have two of these that I felt were genuine, one is identical to this one and came on a 7548-7000 04xxxx serial via the bay quite some time ago if I recall:confused: but doesn't mean they began life together by any means of course.

The other differs slightly in that the GL831 mark doesn't have 22 after it and is under Japan as a third line of text on the holed half of the strap not the buckle half, the buckle half has no marks at all. This came on a 6309-7049 serial 71xxxx sourced from the states via this forum.
Each have the satin finish with SEIKO STSTEEL JAPAN marks on the buckles and clear signs of age.
I image like most things there were "tweaks" to the type during the production life but feel certain of only the first one.

There is a third that again is identical to the one listed and has stiffened with some age as they do but 22 doesn't follow the GL831 again so it seems somehow less convincing (GL831 font certainly differs) probably also because the buckle says SEIKO ST, STEEL -Z which I think is from the modern copies and could have been swapped of course, it looks so much newer than the strap does. Or again a production change?? This is on a 6309-7290 serial 81xxx again with no reason to assume they were always coupled. The buckle alerts me, the strap itself too but less so:undecided:.

Then of course I have a nice supple one of Larry's and a number of the Z22 ones.

#4 ·
I wouldn't spend one penny on a GL831. I went through about 3 of them in my first 5 years of 6309 ownership, starting in 1982. At one point, if I had to buy one more, I would have spent more on bands than I spent on the whole watch. The bands were $25 at the Navy Exchange. Went another direction on bands/ bracelets and never looked back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.