The Watch Site banner

First Attempt At Modding + Lesson Learned

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  IAmTheClayman 
#1 · (Edited)
So today I attempted my first foray into watchmaking/modding - swapping the day/date wheel of a NH36 movement. This is the end result:

You may notice that the day and date colors don't match. And that's because of today's lesson: don't skimp on tools. I, in my infinite wisdom, assumed that the set of miniature screwdrivers I've used for other projects would have a flathead small enough for the screws in the plate holding down the date wheel. Turns out a 2mm flathead is not in fact small enough to use for watchmaking, and now I have a set of Horotec flatheads btw 1.2mm and 0.6mm on the way.

That said, I actually feel pretty good about myself. I managed to remove the C-clip and original day wheel without any issue, avoided the trap of losing the day adjust wheel when it clung to the day wheel as I removed it, got the new white on black ENG/KAN wheel installed and put the C-clip back into place before pressing on the dial. Day and date are both setting properly. So a bit of a goof on my part, but still happy with the first attempt

(And before anyone says anything I am aware that this is a Malaysian SKX007 dial. I wanted a genuine dial and this one was about 25% cheaper compared to the "JAPAN" dial)

See less See more
#10 ·
Lesson 2 Learned Today: the 7S26A/B and 7S26C are NOT the same

I purchased the date wheel on eBay, but the listing only said that the wheel worked on 7S26 and NH36 movements. Apparently not given that my Day wheel aligns correctly but not the date wheel. So it was back to eBay to buy a new date wheel, and now I know to check the indexing teeth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.