The Watch Site banner

Does this Pogue look legit?

22K views 302 replies 36 participants last post by  !van 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
To my untrained eye, the dial appears original. I donā€™t normally buy anything from South America, but the price asked is more than fair. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#2 Ā·
Hey Kat - actually South America can be a good region to look, you just have to be careful like anywhere else.

I can't tell from the photos on my computer (the resolution is a little fuzzy), but it looks like the tic marks on the subdial don't extend all the way to the edge. If this is the case then that is an aftermarket dial. The daywheel is Roman English which is pretty rare.

What is the date on the watch back? I can't read the numbers.

Here is what a late gold dial should look like. See how the tic marks work on the subdial?

Attachments

#6 Ā·
Looks to me like aftermarket dial, inner bezel, outer bezel, and possibly bracelet.

#9 Ā· (Edited)
I thought the same. I knew the bezel insert and bracelet were replacements, but that doesnā€™t bother me. I noticed the inner chapter ring has faded from the sun, which is what happens with these, and some slight deterioration around the edges of the lower seconds register.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#10 Ā· (Edited)
That's a an old type AM inner ring, the colour looks more orange than yellow. The genuine doesn't turn orange like that from fading.

The dial and hands could be original but it looks like the numbers and markers on the subdial have been reprinted. They do not match the genuine.

Edit: actually on second thought that dial is AM with forced patina, made to look like a genuine.

#11 Ā·
Yes, nice job putting them side by side - the fonts are off and you can clearly see where the tic marks donā€™t go all the way to the rim of the subdial. For some reason the AM dials havenā€™t mastered this although for the silver dials itā€™s getting harder to tell.

The forced patina is new to me. Wow, that is pretty good. Here is s better dial shot of my late gold dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Ā·
That is simply breathtaking and beautiful shots. I'm in the process of getting a yellow 6139-6002 sorted. Needs a better bezel/insert which is proving hard to get. It's crazy how the AM'ers are taking it a step further. I wonder what that dial would have to go through the get that kind of corrosion, I thought that took years!

#16 Ā·
What?? How did I miss this???

Ur right, I need to put my profile in.

Kat- this is a great example of the type of watch to look for. Iā€™ll troll eBay for some good examples and give you a heads up. Then one of the restoration guys here can help you out with getting it back to its glory!

#17 Ā·
Well the guys have really nailed it. So I'd just add

Look closely at the indices on 10 1 2 and 5. The illumination plots are unevenly shaped. And my own experience with the 6002 (see my avatar) is that the lume ages to a different shade of white.

Reactions: CombatID
#18 Ā·
Hey Kat, so this is on eBay now. It has all the hallmarks of an honest watch including lots of old DNA, everything looks original, great original looking lume, and I canā€™t see any polishing. The photos are very amateur and itā€™s claimed to be a one owner watch. The problem is that they want too much for it. IMHO if you could get this for $500 or less you would get a good example. If itā€™s as clean as it looks, then you might get a restoration done in the $300 range.

What do all yā€™all think?

#19 Ā·
I agree entirely, Tod ... looks like a pretty good watch, but theyā€™re asking far too much. By way of reference, there was a 6139-6005 recently that I almost bid on, as it looked like a decent restoration candidate. It sold yesterday for $367 ... I think it mightā€™ve gone higher if the auction had ended on a weekend:

Attachments

#31 Ā·
That's a good watch and I don't mind the halo if its at a reasonable price. $367 is very good for that one IMHO.

#24 Ā·
Aww crud. Keep the faith Kat. This is like hunting treasure. It took me a loooong time to finally find a restorable blue Bullhead and it was worth the hunt.

#26 Ā·
LOL ... Iā€™m with you on that one. Over the years Iā€™ve had some luck with estate sales ā€” the grail is always that watch that sat in a drawer, unworn, for the last 40 years.

Come to think of it, I might have a couple of those. Iā€™ll have to leave a note for my heirs so theyā€™ll know what everything is worth ;-)

#34 Ā·
Hi guys, this is a really helpful thread!

I am a big sucker for vintage Seikos, and Pogue is for sure my grail watch which I am having trouble acquiring. It's so much after market fakes out there, it makes it really hard for us who never had the original one.

I recently saw one that has been sitting in a box since 1972, and It's been in the back of my head ever since, it's such an amazing piece. I know I will most likely never get my hands on one in that condition, but would really love to get one in a good condition with unpolished case and original parts.

It surprised me someone mentioned it's not hard to find a good Pogue for the right price. I've been searching online without luck for some time already and at this point I would be ready to pay the premium to get the real thing. Would you guys mind pointing me towards the place where I could find one? Are there any trustworthy shops that you would recommend? Is someone from this Forum selling pogues maybe? Thanks a lot!

#44 Ā·
IMO some of the "Pogues" are easy to spot when they have after market parts but it is getting much more difficult as time goes by and even the knowledgeable 6139 guys get caught out some times now days, for instance I did a trade with a 6139 guy not so long back for a NOS Pepsi bezel which turned out to be fake which the knowledgeable guy hadent noticed, scary :(

#45 Ā·
I agree Sir Tiger. The AM components are getting very tough to spot in this digital age. Iā€™ve often thought of developing some sort of AI method to spot non-original parts, I could make a fortune with the Rolex crowd. But the blue ā€œPogueā€ are the most honest out there. I havenā€™t seen nearly as much fakery with them. To your point though I wonā€™t even consider a silver dial unless I know the owner or itā€™s coming from an estate in original condition. The AM dials are too hard to spot.

#46 Ā·
So I picked It up today. It looks like it took it's share of beating during the years, the crystal is in terrible condition, but overall decent condition for a 48 year old I guess. The bracelet is am, will change it for sure because it fits terribly on the top end and will surely scratch the case. The watch seems to be loosing a lot of time, will check it tomorrow but looks like It will need a service as well...

Attachments

#50 Ā·
That is a great candidate for a service. With a new crystal and a cleanup on the case it will look great. Maybe get an Uncle Seiko bracelet too.

#51 Ā·
I've been wearing it for half a day now, and it actually runs pretty good, I suppose it needed a bit of juice in the beginning. Quick set day/date works nicely as well as the internal rotation, chronograph works too, the only issue being it resets slightly of 12 o'clock. Any chance the crystal in this condition can be polished?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.