The Watch Site banner

Hamilton Watch Strap

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Sarbie 
#1 ·
This is the Hamilton, Khaki ,Aviation ,QNE ,Automatic watch. My concern is with its leather strap. I am on my second strap now and the watch was purchased in October 15, 2015. The strap is quite expensive ,at around $200 and the black dye comes off the strap and stains my wrist. Should an expensive strap like this be doing such a thing ?

#2 ·
My opinion: $200 is A LOT of money for a leather watch strap of any kind. Especially when there are some high quality straps (Di-Modell) for a quarter of the price. I get wanting to have the original OEM strap though.

I've never had a leather strap leak dye on me before and I don't think yours should be doing this. Are you wearing it while swimming? Sweating a lot? High moisture environment? Even then, probably not.

For that kind of dough I'd return it to Hamilton, with documentation, get a refund and try a different strap. You shouldn't have to content with this.

Good luck.

#3 ·
My opinion: $200 is A LOT of money for a leather watch strap of any kind. Especially when there are some high quality straps (Di-Modell) for a quarter of the price. I get wanting to have the original OEM strap though.

I've never had a leather strap leak dye on me before and I don't think yours should be doing this. Are you wearing it while swimming? Sweating a lot? High moisture environment? Even then, probably not.

For that kind of dough I'd return it to Hamilton, with documentation, get a refund and try a different strap. You shouldn't have to content with this.

Good luck.

The only water that it is exposed to is when I wash my hands but even then I am very careful that no water reaches the watch. When you say, to try a different strap, do you mean other than the original Hamilton strap ? The previous Hamilton strap also leaked dye as well.

#6 ·
In this case I doubt having the receipt will matter much. The strap is clearly failing and not performing the way it should. It may be a known problem for them.

It's never so much about the problem as it is how a company responds to the problem. Will be interested to know how this progresses.

#7 ·
In this case I doubt having the receipt will matter much. The strap is clearly failing and not performing the way it should. It may be a known problem for them.

It's never so much about the problem as it is how a company responds to the problem. Will be interested to know how this progresses.

I received a reply from Hamilton.

" We checked the strap and there have been no reported cases regarding the dye used on the leather. At this point we can only assume this is general wear and tear. We can provide a replacement leather strap for $170 plus tax and $15 installation or we can ship it to you for an additional charge of $17 . "

#11 ·
again, that's high end dollars for a piece of leather.

Check out straps by Di-Modell and Fluco - excellent alternatives, high quality and considerably less expensive - by a lot. I own several and they are very good. Hirsch also does a nice job with their straps as well.

Sorry this didn't work out for you - pretty frustrating no doubt.

#12 ·
Sounds like ample evidence for not patronizing Hamilton again. Might want to spread the word as a warning to prospective buyers of that strap.

#13 ·
Update on the watches strap

So I solved the problem of the staining by wiping the dye off with alcohol. Now the problem, is or was ,that the two loops have come off the strap. I went back to the store yesterday and ended up buying an after market strap and saved $100 on the price of the original. I bought a Hirsch 100 meter water resistant Carbon watch strap for $69. It seems to be coated with some material, so I don't think the dye will rub off. It is still very stiff ,so I put it on my watch winder to mold the shape of the strap, to be more comfortable on the wrist. The watch will be four years old next month and it is already on its third strap.

#16 ·
My favourite leather strap is from Man Cave Leather he sells on ETSY and considerably cheaper than that Hamilton, my nickname on my local forum was 'strap whore' :) so i have changed out a few.

Its 6am here (New Zealand) and the kids are starting to get up but i will post a pic in a couple of hours of it.

not sure if sharing links is ok here, I have no association with MCL and have only purchased 1 strap from him but would love to get more.

I think I found out about him from Random Rob or Bruce Williams on youtube

unable to post links because i only have 2 posts...let me post a couple more and insert link.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.