The Watch Site banner

The new SARX033 Presage

33K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  cwillie 
#1 ·
This Seiko SARX033 is the latest addition to the Presage mechanical line.

You may recall this thread I started recently.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japa...m/232346-looking-dressy-daily-wear-seiko.html

This review is the result of the above link.

I first started out my search for a white dial Seiko dress watch which is an extremely large search of course as it's probably Seiko's most widely made style. I ended up choosing the SARX033 over a few other options I was considering due to the case shape mostly as it was the closest I could find based on my first ever Seiko given to me at a very young age.

I knew I wanted a watch with this case profile. That narrowed down the search to only one watch. When it arrived it was obvious I made the right choice.

So let's get into the specifics and specifications of the SARX033.

Details
Case & Bracelet: SS (with Diashield)
Max wrist size: 19.5 cm (7.7 inch)
Crystal: Sapphire / See-through back (Hardlex)
Diameter: 40.8mm (without the crown)
Thickness: 11.5mm
Lug to Lug: 46.3mm
Movement: 6R15 23J Automatic (with Hand winding and Hack function)
Accuracy: +25/-15 sec/day
Power reserve: 50 hours
10 ATM water resistance

The SARX033 is part of the Presage line and seems to be top of the Presage line using the 6R15 movement. It's in typical form here. Lightly decorated rotor as usual retaining its workhorse appearance. When looking the watch over compared to the finishing of the case and bracelet it does look very pedestrian here, but as a big fan of this movement in general it's a very welcome sight and keeps the price down to a reasonable level. I've yet to own a poorly adjusted one.

This watch feels very special. I love the dial. I was a bit on the fence to start with when I first noticed the dial finish as I was expecting more of a glossy white, but the mild sunburst plays so perfectly with the blued hands. It's actually similar to the dial finish style of the 4004. While this is a modern and new Seiko, these similarities to my old 4004 already make it feel very familiar.

In most lower lighting it still looks like a basic white dial and this is definitely when I enjoy it the most. It keeps it looking very clean and simple.

The hands are by far my favorite detail. They look almost black from most angles but are mesmerizing when the light plays off of them. (Reusing the first shot since it represents this so well.)

Originally I was a bit concerned about the size, but after wearing it I think it's perfect. It's on the larger side for a dress watch and it wears well casually for this reason. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I've yet to find an imperfect detail in the polishing and finishing of the case or bracelet. Everything is very well done here. I haven't been much of a large or dive watch fan as of late and the sharp details of the case put me in mind of the Sumo which I've owned a few times, but the case angles are done cleaner here. All case lines alternating between brushed and polished are perfect here, no bleed over of the two surfaces at all.

Now onto the bracelet. This tends to be where Seiko skimps on detail and finishing. The pictures looked great but I had my usual reservations here especially since I'm not much of a bracelet guy and I fully intended to wear this almost exclusively on the bracelet. While I haven't handled any Grand Seikos, I've heard the rave reviews of the quality and fit and finish of GS bracelets. I won't say this is as good as one since I haven't held a GS, but it seems apparent that they took a page out of the GS playbook here. The end links fit tight with absolutely no play, which I've never been able to say for any Seiko I've owned.

These aren't your typical budget machined sections and polished links we've come to expect from Seiko. These are true 5 piece links, including the endlinks. The only ones that aren't are the half links and the sections permanently attached to the clasp. It would be nice if these pieces were true 5 links too, but that's literally the only small thing I can say bad if we're truly picking nits. This is the most overall satisfied I've ever been with a watch purchase. To add to this all, these bracelet pictures were taken today after hauling and carrying kids around all of yesterday, banging it on the latch accidentally of the rear door of my Jaguar getting a kid out of a car seat and my usual clumsiness. Not a mark anywhere. This Diashield treatment is truly phenomenal.

The clasp is beautifully machined and solid. It folds into a slim profile on the wrist and uses two button release mechanism.

I'd have to say this is a perfect example of what Seiko is truly capable of at this price point and there's so many traditional Seiko qualities to love here. I've always felt when it came to sport and dive watches, Seiko has used a few odd cues that feel off from time to time, but they seem to be very careful to not do this with their dressier offerings and let the technology shine with their polishing, finishing, and coatings. I truly want to see the 41mm GS SD this is most similar to. I'm completely certain it's the best of the breed and is a true work of art. There may be a day where that one works out for me, but this one will always have a place on my wrist. Truly happy with this one.

See less See more
#7 ·
I definitely understand where you are coming from, but with the quality of the finishing and with Diashield this watch is miles ahead of the typical 6R15 watch. It would be nice to see a step up in movement but the price would climb. Also this watch can be had well under $900 new delivered.

#17 ·
Nice pictures! I've not seen one in the metal, but looks great. I think the price difference between the sarb and this sarx is fair considering that when it comes to watches in general any upgrades in finish/materials increase prices exponentially, GS for example.
Interesting thing about the size comments, I recently bought a sarb035 and do not wear it because it feels small. I guess I've been spoiled by the other pieces I had been using as dress watches; ufo, jumbo, pogue, pulsations, and speedy pro.
It doesn't really look considerably smaller, it just feels that way. I've taken a few comparison pictures:

So, from my perspective, I would definitely buy the sarx and give it a try.

#18 ·
That was my feeling of the SARB. It's well made and in most cases seemed just about right on the wrist, but there were moments where it felt small. I haven't had that feeling with the SARX and it hasn't felt overly large at any point either.

#32 ·
Glad to hear you snagged one. How are you enjoying it since it's been a bit since your post?

The main update I have is that it's ran in so accurate that it's gained about 3 seconds in the last month. I wear it almost every day and I've not let it stop completely since I got it. The Diashield is showing a small bit of wear now on the polished sections in particular but is holding up very well in comparison to standard stainless steel. I know it's still a hard sell at this price point but I feel as if that wouldn't be the case if seen in person, the small details are mind blowing at this price point. I even had the idea of flipping it for a SARB035 and a SARB017, but even as nice as these two pieces are I'd feel that I'd miss the small details way too much. Absolutely love the hands. The size may be the only drawback for smaller wrists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.