The Watch Site banner

Review: Seiko 6619-8230 and 7625-8233

14K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  bardamu 
#1 · (Edited)
A while back I ran across an article by Michael Stockton reviewing the Sportsmatic 6619-8230 in which he declares this model, “one of Seiko’s best ever,” due to the size, which he describes as, “large, especially for 1967, 38mm diameter,” and the the overall design which Michael describes thusly:

“I’m normally not a day/date window admirer, but the rectangular opening with its chrome surround is well executed and breaks the vast space created by the dial. The day is black font on a white wheel while the date takes the opposite; it’s all perfectly done. . . They are simple designs when looking at the hour and minutes but actually contain edge chamfers to create a little dazzle. The sweep seconds hand, of course, contains the well-known lumed box near the end of the hand. In summary, everything is in balance. If you can’t tell, I am really fond of this watch.”

I wish I could write as well. The article can be found here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-seiko-sportsmatic-6619-8230/

I was bitten by the bug. Over the next year I searched on ebay, but I never came across any 6619-8230 that was in acceptable condition.

During this same time however, I became aware of the Seiko 7625-8233, which is identical 6619-powered twin brother except for the details of having a clean, simple date window in place of a day/date window, the crown at 3 o'clock instead of 4, and a crosshair dial. I now wanted them BOTH.

Finally, about six months ago, I stumbled upon examples of both these models on ebay within the space of a week. While neither one were operational, the dials and hands of both seemed unusually pristine beneath their scratched and shattered crystals. Since neither seller included model numbers in the descriptions, there were no other bidders, and I got both for a song.

As soon as they arrived I got to work ordering parts and scheduling work. I replaced the crystals, paid $200 to have them overhauled ($120 of which was financed by flipping the coffin link bracelet that came with the 6619) and, inspired by Michael Stockton’s specimen which he had fitted with a light tan racing style strap from Giuliano, I bought two matching brown leather perforated rally straps for my own.

Several people have written about how most of these models have been purchased for their hands, which have been harvested for restorations of 62MASs and 6105s, making them all the more rare.

I’ve always been attracted to the Seiko casebacks from the late 60s. There are everything from dolphins, seahorses and sea lions to yachats engraved on the casebacks. These particular models both are identified by their casebacks as being “Sportsmatics” with the 6119 also having the Seiko 5 crest included. This is a welcome touch for those of us that are weary of seeing the 5 logo on our watch dials.

Most watches come and go from my collection, but these fraternal twins have really ingratiated themselves to me and have become part of the core of my collection. Underappreciated and undervalued for sure.

See less See more
#7 ·
Here is my 7005-8062 just back from servicing. Aside from the crown being at 3 o'clock instead of 4, externally it is an exact match with the earlier 7625-8233. I waited eight months for a specimen in acceptable condition to pop up.

The only cosmetic defect were the hands which were showing corrosion and discolored lume. I replaced them with an aftermarket set from xzqt here on this forum. While they are not an exact match with the originals, I feel that they endow the watch with more presence, and make it appear larger in the wrist. In addition, the color of the lume is a perfect match with the chapter ring, and gives a powerful, long-lasting glow at night.

#9 ·
Here is my 7005-8062 just back from servicing. Aside from the crown being at 3 o'clock instead of 4, externally it is an exact match with the earlier 7625-8233. I waited eight months for a specimen in acceptable condition to pop up.

The only cosmetic defect were the hands which were showing corrosion and discolored lume. I replaced them with an aftermarket set from xzqt here on this forum. While they are not an exact match with the originals, I feel that they endow the watch with more presence, and make it appear larger in the wrist. In addition, the color of the lume is a perfect match with the chapter ring, and gives a powerful, long-lasting glow at night.

DEAR GOD THAT IS TRULY BEAUTIFUL !

I almost don't know where to start. Perhaps with the fact that there is just so much to appreciate regarding the simple beauty of the uncluttered design of the dial. I was first captivated by the cross hairs on that dial and as Reynaldo so aptly put it, the day/date window and its polished chrome surround is so well placed. And then you displayed the outdoor wristshot photo above and I am truly at a loss for words. My verbosity usually supersedes any emotional response but in this situation I found myself pondering the beauty of that timepiece for an extended period of time. Design, regardless of what the particular item is, is a very personal and emotional thing. In this instance, I found myself not able to take my eyes off of it. I think seeing the color of the dial and the way it radiated in that way for me for the first time, I believe I saw just what the designers intended to portray. Maybe more. After all, this was intended to be a tool watch back in the day and I'm not sure that beauty was their intended purpose. Design is art. Art is emotional. Emotion is passion. In short, emotion in design as well as emotional perception with passion is when it can come full circle. It is in a way, an epiphany. Its that moment where thought and feeling, (passion) and emotion all rolled into one causes you to think, "I get it" ! It is an important driving force in all of life. It's the push/pull, the give/take, the yin and yang. When it works it's a beautiful thing, a building block of life itself. Thank you for preserving this beautiful piece of history and others that helped me to "get it" !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.