The Watch Site banner

New Costco Seiko SRPA85?

16K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  bk_lake 
#1 ·
I recently bought my first Automatic, a perfectly fine SKX007. I was/am very pleased with this watch, but had been told that automatics are like any other collectable, addicting. I made a trip to Costco this past weekend like I do most weekends. I always check the watch displays at Costco whenever I go and was surprised to see what looked like an SRP779. Recalling what I could, this watch is a nice upgrade from my 007 and I really liked the look of the Pepsi dial and the slightly larger size of the frame. I bought it for $250.

I get home and do some closer inspecting and the sticker on the Seiko box, hidden behind the Costco sticker is the SRPA85 sticker. I have searched for this designation only to discover it is a Costco model of the SRP779? What are the differences between the SRPA85 and SRP779, if any?

I'm still very pleased with the watch and have no plans on returning it, but was just curious if any seasoned Seiko experts could help me put into perspective my recent purchase.

Thank you-

#2 ·
Can't tell from the scant few pics online of the SRPA85 whether or not the dial is the dark blue of an SKX009, or matte black (perhaps you can confirm?). I believe that the SRP779 definitely has a matte black dial. Other than that, the SRP779 (to my knowledge), only comes on rubber, so the Costco model adds the bracelet. For $250, seems to be quite a good deal to me. Perhaps the difference is simply that SRPA85 is the North American model number; just as the SKX009 and SKX175 are the same watch, just the latter is the NA model number

#7 ·
I have acquired both the srpa21k1 PADI and this srpa85. The only advantage the PADI has is the dial color and the 'special edition' badging on the case back. Other than that these watches are (not ) identical. At least my srpa85 is superior in every other way. No chapter ring alignment issues. The movement is within specs out the box (may gain 7-10 seconds per day). My PADI �� may lose a minute a day wearing all day. Better to gain time than lose. There is also the chapter ring issue out the box. Notice mine is the K1. Don't forget Costco's excellent return policy. In closing, buy this watch from Costco if you can!

#10 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I just want to say, I just purchased this same watch from my Costco for $249 also. I instantly fell in obsession mode since getting this watch. Less than a week later (yesterday), I bought myself the PADI SRPA21 on sale at Macy's for $315. Both, I was told, are good prices. I love them BOTH and look forward to more buys...

(Love this forum)

#15 ·
Confirmed this model and Costco stock number at the Durham NC store. Such a great watch. I'm impressed that have another Seiko automatic at the Durham and Raleigh stores, roughly $165ish, sorry I don't have the model at the moment.

(Incidentally they have an Oris big crown watch for $550ish.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Just an update, absolutely love this watch. Loses a second or two every month or so and I love to drive my wife nuts with constant reminders of how much I love the watch. I've worn it every day since buying it, from formal outings, to camping trips to work, it just feels right.

#21 · (Edited)
Yes, I bought this same SRP A85 watch from Costco for $250. It's a great watch. I only wear mine a few hours each day as I fish a lot, am involved in lots of activities that would bang and scratch the watch up. Because of that I manually wind my watch 20 turns a day just to stop the mainspring loosening and keep time. I find a loss of about 3 seconds daily on it comparing it to Internet time from the day before.

I bet the time would remain more accurate to 1-2 seconds a day lost if I wore it more like the manual says of at least 8hrs a day, but since I don't..and even relying on daily manual winding...3 seconds daily isn't bad at all!

#24 ·
Ok...update...wore my SRP A85 all day yesterday at the beach here in South Carolina. Had her on for a good 12 hrs in and out of the surf. Today I just checked the time and bounced it off the internet time...still exact...not even a second lost or gained. Very, very impressed!

#26 ·
Well, its been a busy summer. Mountain biking, river rafting, swimming, hiking, running, hitting the gym and working outside everyday. I wear this watch everyday, no matter the schedule and this watch still looks like it's brand new and still keeps great time (maybe not quite a few seconds a month). The only evidence that i have been wearing it is the bezel will sometimes get pushed off of 12, otherwise you'd be hard pressed to tell what the watch goes through every day. I feel bad for my original SKX007, it hasn't seen the light of day.

#32 ·
Still the One

Figured I would knock the dust off an old post. I still wear this SRP every day and still love it.

I don't know if this is considered sacrilege, but I have been eyeing another brand.

Anyone buy a Sinn lately? I'm really digging the 104 and like what i've read about it so far. Knowing us Seiko folks love a good looking, hard working auto, I thought I'd check with you folks to see if anyone here has strayed and tried out some German timekeepers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.