Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Ė Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading

Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Ė Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading (https://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php)
-   THE JAPANESE WATCH DISCUSSION FORUM (https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Did I buy a "good" 6309-7049? (https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/332397-did-i-buy-good-6309-7049-a.html)

Amin S 09-11-2019 12:33 PM

Did I buy a "good" 6309-7049?
 
I was in the market for a good 6309-7040 or 6309-7049. By good, I mean all original and not overpolished case and no water damage to dial or movement. I'm okay with heavily used and scratched. I'm also okay with overpaying a little as long as I'm not getting a misrepresented product.

Ended up buying this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163853072941

Does it look all original? I did my research and didn't see any signs of aftermarket parts in the (mediocre) pics, but I'd like to get your opinion. Thanks!

Someone recently told me I should ask first and buy second, but I'm always worried about someone buying before me :).

TheTigerUK 09-11-2019 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks decent to me, nice dial and hands a new crystal will show it off, looks well used but correct, not a bargain but not over the top either.

I received this one yesterday, cost a shade more than yours but was serviced by Duncan in July which is a big plus for me.

Amin S 09-11-2019 12:45 PM

I did ask the seller to add some extra pics because the original ones were truly awful blurry nonsense. He did that and also sent me this reply:

Quote:

The case is in very good condition and the dial is in excellent condition as are the hands. The bezel insert and crystal are the only areas showing wear. I added a couple more pics so take a look. The watch is 35 years old and was serviced by the original owner. I had it checked by my watchmaker who said it did not require service and also checked it for waterproof integrity. It passed yet as I indicated I would not wear a vintage watch under water. The watch runs great and if you really wanted to to replace the crystal and bezel insert, you could at little cost.

Thank you for your interest.
That was in addition to the original description:

Quote:

This is none other than the tried and true Seiko 6309-7049 "Turtle" Dive Watch. I bought this watch from the original owner who bought while serving in the Navy on the USS Enterprise Aircraft Carrier. The watch is running strong and is still waterproof though as a vintage watch I would not dive or swim with it. The case is not polished and the bezel is original which is how I typically like vintage watches as they tell a story with the wear they show. The flash really shows the scratches but in regular light it doesn't seem that bad to me but you decide. You're welcome to get a new insert but I would leave it the way it is. The crystal shows some scratches being the typical Hardlex but it is not too bad. The lume on the dial and hands is clean and blemish free and the hands themselves are free of any corrosion a testament to the fact this watch is still tight. All in all it shows well for its age and most importantly runs strong as indicated above.
Here are the Ebay pics for those who didn't click the link:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/et4AA...21/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2yAAA...DN/s-l1600.jpg

Amin S 09-11-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTigerUK (Post 2821503)
It looks decent to me, nice dial and hands a new crystal will show it off, looks well used but correct, not a bargain but not over the top either.

I received this one yesterday, cost a shade more than yours but was serviced by Duncan in July which is a big plus for me.

Thanks for taking a look. Yours is a beauty!

Katgirl 09-11-2019 12:54 PM

Did I buy a "good" 6309-7049?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amin S (Post 2821507)
Thanks for taking a look. Yours is a beauty!



A new crystal and bezel insert and she will be a beauty. Here is mine. I paid $320.00 for it, a few months ago. It had the wrong bezel insert, which I have since replaced.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b0645b594d.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Spilled Fluids 09-11-2019 01:03 PM

You got a nice one Amin. Everything checks out as it should for a 35 yr old watch that has obviously been used for it's intended purpose.

If that were my watch, the only thing I would touch is the crystal. Every little nick and scratch is a story for you to imagine :cool:

You are lucky because most times now, watches with this much character are destroyed by cheap AM dials, hands and inserts.

seikozen 09-11-2019 01:22 PM

6309-7049
 
Amin Nice potential. Great Dial and hands A Good Hong Kong 6309 just recently started having more Respect for the HKs as I spent time with one of Mine. Russell


Amin S 09-11-2019 01:53 PM

Thanks, everyone! Very nice 6139, Katgirl and Russell!

@SF - Yes, I am just going to replace the crystal with another Hardlex one, add a Z22 strap, and enjoy it!

Amin S 09-16-2019 02:12 PM

It arrived today, and I’m very pleased with the overall condition! I probably will replace the crystal, and I might swap out the insert with one of my clean 7002 inserts, not sure.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bf578c9399.jpg

Is the crystal replacement hard to do on these? I have a good crystal press and have done SKX crystal replacements before, but maybe I’m better off sending it to a pro so I know I won’t get dust on the dial or in the movement.

Also, I was planning to put a reproduction Hardlex in there, but maybe I should go with sapphire. What do you think? Also, would you swap out the replacement or is that all part of the charm?

EDIT: I'm thinking of maybe just leaving everything as is. The whole watch has wear and kind of works together, IMO.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katgirl 09-16-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amin S (Post 2823715)
It arrived today, and Iím very pleased with the overall condition! I probably will replace the crystal, and I might swap out the insert with one of my clean 7002 inserts, not sure.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bf578c9399.jpg

Is the crystal replacement hard to do on these? I have a good crystal press and have done SKX crystal replacements before, but maybe Iím better off sending it to a pro so I know I wonít get dust on the dial or in the movement.

Also, I was planning to put a reproduction Hardlex in there, but maybe I should go with sapphire. What do you think? Also, would you swap out the replacement or is that all part of the charm?

EDIT: I'm thinking of maybe just leaving everything as is. The whole watch has wear and kind of works together, IMO.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Change the bezel insert. I did, on mine:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...623655b782.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TheTigerUK 09-16-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amin S (Post 2823715)
It arrived today, and Iím very pleased with the overall condition! I probably will replace the crystal, and I might swap out the insert with one of my clean 7002 inserts, not sure.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bf578c9399.jpg

Is the crystal replacement hard to do on these? I have a good crystal press and have done SKX crystal replacements before, but maybe Iím better off sending it to a pro so I know I wonít get dust on the dial or in the movement.

Also, I was planning to put a reproduction Hardlex in there, but maybe I should go with sapphire. What do you think? Also, would you swap out the replacement or is that all part of the charm?

EDIT: I'm thinking of maybe just leaving everything as is. The whole watch has wear and kind of works together, IMO.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good, new crystal and insert and it will look the business :)

byscott 09-16-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amin S (Post 2823715)
Is the crystal replacement hard to do on these? I have a good crystal press and have done SKX crystal replacements before, but maybe Iím better off sending it to a pro so I know I wonít get dust on the dial or in the movement.

Also, I was planning to put a reproduction Hardlex in there, but maybe I should go with sapphire. What do you think? Also, would you swap out the replacement or is that all part of the charm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iíd probably replace the crystal and shop around for a slightly less trashed authentic insert (they pop up on eBay). IMO a new insert ó even a correct new insert ó looks odd unless everything else is in mint condition. And even then the lume match is difficult ... it might be OK or it might be a little off

As for the crystal, itís not a huge deal to replace the crystal on these, BUT ...

... in addition to the usual crystal gasket, thereís also a retaining ring. These are fairly fragile, so on an original 35-year-old watch Iíd make it about a 50/50 proposition that the retaining ring is cracked. You can get new ones, so I donít think itís problematic, just something to be aware of.

Iím not a fan of sapphire crystals on vintage watches. To me they just donít look right. On this watch I would stick with Hardlex. But thatís just me.

seikozen 09-16-2019 06:02 PM

Amin. Even just a Crystal will make a Nice Difference when You look down. Having a Nice dial and hands will just Pop out with a New Glass. Maybe if you send her out to have the crystal installed you can Have the gaskets Changed? at least the Crystal gasket
. One of the AM Insert or 7002 as you mentioned and she will be sweet. I personally Do not Like Sapphire Crystals on 6309s I have two that I bought that way and to me there is Nothing like the OEM or OEM Reproductions /w frosted Edges. Russell

Amin S 09-16-2019 11:28 PM

I went ahead and tried to replace the crystal and insert, and I think I made every mistake I could have possibly made.

First I tried to remove the original crystal without realizing I had to remove the retaining ring. As a result, the original crystal shattered :(.

Then I got a fingerprint on the inside of the replacement crystal, which proved impossible to completely remove without leaving microscopic dust in its place.

Then I tried to screw the case back on without realizing that the movement retaining ring was out of place and pushing on the crown stem. I kept wondering why the case back wouldn't screw all the way on. At the same time, the crown was changing the date in a position that should only have been changing the time. I'm lucky I didn't break the stem because I used quite a bit of force trying to screw the case back on.

Then I completely destroyed my best 7002 insert trying to get it installed in place of the original one. I eventually got another, significantly less nice 7002 insert installed but only after filing it down some to make it fit. I don't know what the correct way to get an insert snapped into place is. Nothing I tried worked except for filing.

On the positive side, the movement looked to be in pristine condition, and I'm pretty happy with the final result:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4e0d538e_h.jpg

Spilled Fluids 09-17-2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katgirl (Post 2823727)
Change the bezel insert. I did, on mine:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...623655b782.jpg


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You still have the wrong bezel insert. That one is either after market of belongs on an SKX model.
Sorry :(

Amin S 09-17-2019 12:24 AM

I’m okay with using this one until I find something better :)

Edit: Oops I thought the above post was about my insert.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainier 09-17-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amin S (Post 2823921)
I went ahead and tried to replace the crystal and insert, and I think I made every mistake I could have possibly made.

First I tried to remove the original crystal without realizing I had to remove the retaining ring. As a result, the original crystal shattered :(.

Then I got a fingerprint on the inside of the replacement crystal, which proved impossible to completely remove without leaving microscopic dust in its place.

Then I tried to screw the case back on without realizing that the movement retaining ring was out of place and pushing on the crown stem. I kept wondering why the case back wouldn't screw all the way on. At the same time, the crown was changing the date in a position that should only have been changing the time. I'm lucky I didn't break the stem because I used quite a bit of force trying to screw the case back on.

Then I completely destroyed my best 7002 insert trying to get it installed in place of the original one. I eventually got another, significantly less nice 7002 insert installed but only after filing it down some to make it fit. I don't know what the correct way to get an insert snapped into place is. Nothing I tried worked except for filing.

On the positive side, the movement looked to be in pristine condition, and I'm pretty happy with the final result:

I think the end result turned out great - and most importantly, the dial and hands look to be in excellent shape. :cool:

nzwatchdoctor 09-17-2019 01:28 AM

[QUOTE=Katgirl;2823727]Change the bezel insert. I did, on mine:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...623655b782.jpg


That looks great. A new (or excellent original) bezel really lifts a watches look :)

Amin S 09-17-2019 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier (Post 2823933)
I think the end result turned out great - and most importantly, the dial and hands look to be in excellent shape. :cool:

Thank you!

borgsauce 09-17-2019 05:46 AM

I'm curious how you managed to shatter that crystal considering it's pretty thick? Did you apply pressure using a smaller die directly on the crystal with a press? Well mistakes happen and I guess you know better now[emoji4].

Also I believe these inserts are originally friction fitted. Most likely during assembly they are slanted more than usual and once in place they are pressed which makes it expand. I've done replacements before and had to use a crystal press to basically do the reverse.

Amin S 09-17-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borgsauce (Post 2824001)
I'm curious how you managed to shatter that crystal considering it's pretty thick? Did you apply pressure using a smaller die directly on the crystal with a press? Well mistakes happen and I guess you know better now[emoji4].

Also I believe these inserts are originally friction fitted. Most likely during assembly they are slanted more than usual and once in place they are pressed which makes it expand. I've done replacements before and had to use a crystal press to basically do the reverse.



I used a die directly on the crystal from one side while pushing on the retaining ring with a die from the other side [emoji849].

I was able to use my crystal press to friction fit the insert in my 6309-7290 but couldnít make it happen with this watch no matter how I tried.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amin S 09-17-2019 08:51 AM

I decided to reinstall the original bezel insert. Better pip color, and I like the idea of keeping the watch as original as possible. Here it is:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...39ada99f_h.jpg

Kulprit 09-17-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amin S (Post 2823921)
I went ahead and tried to replace the crystal and insert, and I think I made every mistake I could have possibly made.

First I tried to remove the original crystal without realizing I had to remove the retaining ring. As a result, the original crystal shattered :(.

Then I got a fingerprint on the inside of the replacement crystal, which proved impossible to completely remove without leaving microscopic dust in its place.

Then I tried to screw the case back on without realizing that the movement retaining ring was out of place and pushing on the crown stem. I kept wondering why the case back wouldn't screw all the way on. At the same time, the crown was changing the date in a position that should only have been changing the time. I'm lucky I didn't break the stem because I used quite a bit of force trying to screw the case back on.

Then I completely destroyed my best 7002 insert trying to get it installed in place of the original one. I eventually got another, significantly less nice 7002 insert installed but only after filing it down some to make it fit. I don't know what the correct way to get an insert snapped into place is. Nothing I tried worked except for filing.

On the positive side, the movement looked to be in pristine condition, and I'm pretty happy with the final result:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4e0d538e_h.jpg



Well, the end result is something to be proud of, even if it was a headache getting there. Looks good!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amin S 09-17-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulprit (Post 2824113)
Well, the end result is something to be proud of, even if it was a headache getting there. Looks good!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I do feel satisfaction in having done the work myself, and the next time I swap out a crystal on a 6309, it will go much more smoothly :).

seikozen 09-17-2019 09:07 PM

The Dial hands and Chapter Ring are so Clear Now Just Pops Out that I did not even Notice the Bezel. Yet I like that you Chose to Use her She really does have Character Or to say Her perfect Wabie you also seem to have inserted the insert Nicely . Russell


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.