Does this Pogue look legit? - Page 2 - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
byscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 296
Points: 13 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
There are plenty to be had for the right price. It's the, looking for the honest filthy examples for a bargain, thats hard to come by. I see a badly scratched crystal and a humble description I hit buy
LOL ... I’m with you on that one. Over the years I’ve had some luck with estate sales — the grail is always that watch that sat in a drawer, unworn, for the last 40 years.

Come to think of it, I might have a couple of those. I’ll have to leave a note for my heirs so they’ll know what everything is worth ;-)
byscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Katgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 982
Points: 115 (+)
Default Does this Pogue look legit?



Might buy this one. Looks all original and in really good condition. Still prefer the gold dial, but this is nice.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Katgirl; 08-14-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Katgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 732
Points: 33 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byscott View Post
LOL ... I’m with you on that one. Over the years I’ve had some luck with estate sales — the grail is always that watch that sat in a drawer, unworn, for the last 40 years.

Come to think of it, I might have a couple of those. I’ll have to leave a note for my heirs so they’ll know what everything is worth ;-)
You guys are lucky with estate sales. Almost never happens on my side of the world. Probably best you assign a friend they could contact when that time ever comes. And hopefully not for a very very long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgirl View Post


Might buy this one. Looks all original and in really good condition. Still prefer the gold dial, but this is nice.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
If you really like the yellow then I'd suggest waiting it out. I know it can be frustrating as hell but when you get that watch it'll be worth the wait. Unless you planned on getting both all along.
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Katgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 982
Points: 115 (+)
Default

I really like the gold dial. Patience is not one of my strong suits...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Katgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
byscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 296
Points: 13 (+)
Default

I agree with the advice about waiting ... unless you really want both, I think it’s worth waiting for the yellow dial.

FWIW, Vintage Time Australia has a good “Pogue buying tips” series of videos on YouTube. The first one is here:

byscott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,194
Points: 94 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byscott View Post
I agree entirely, Tod ... looks like a pretty good watch, but they’re asking far too much. By way of reference, there was a 6139-6005 recently that I almost bid on, as it looked like a decent restoration candidate. It sold yesterday for $367 ... I think it might’ve gone higher if the auction had ended on a weekend:
That's a good watch and I don't mind the halo if its at a reasonable price. $367 is very good for that one IMHO.
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,194
Points: 94 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by byscott View Post
LOL ... I’m with you on that one. Over the years I’ve had some luck with estate sales — the grail is always that watch that sat in a drawer, unworn, for the last 40 years.

Come to think of it, I might have a couple of those. I’ll have to leave a note for my heirs so they’ll know what everything is worth ;-)
Concur 100%
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,194
Points: 94 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
You guys are lucky with estate sales. Almost never happens on my side of the world. Probably best you assign a friend they could contact when that time ever comes. And hopefully not for a very very long time



If you really like the yellow then I'd suggest waiting it out. I know it can be frustrating as hell but when you get that watch it'll be worth the wait. Unless you planned on getting both all along.
I agree, wait for the yellow unless you want both. This blue 6139 looks good at a quick glance, but the crown is wrong which may just be an improper replacement in the past but it also asks the question about the rest of the watch. If that is all that is wrong you can get crown, stem, and gear replacements for around $80 that are quite good. I have had to purchase two so far.
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Hi guys, this is a really helpful thread!

I am a big sucker for vintage Seikos, and Pogue is for sure my grail watch which I am having trouble acquiring. It's so much after market fakes out there, it makes it really hard for us who never had the original one.

I recently saw one that has been sitting in a box since 1972, and It's been in the back of my head ever since, it's such an amazing piece. I know I will most likely never get my hands on one in that condition, but would really love to get one in a good condition with unpolished case and original parts.

It surprised me someone mentioned it's not hard to find a good Pogue for the right price. I've been searching online without luck for some time already and at this point I would be ready to pay the premium to get the real thing. Would you guys mind pointing me towards the place where I could find one? Are there any trustworthy shops that you would recommend? Is someone from this Forum selling pogues maybe? Thanks a lot!
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

How does this look for you guys, except for the cracked glass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6139.jpg (124.3 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by !van; 08-19-2019 at 09:35 AM.
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 732
Points: 33 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by !van View Post
How does this look for you guys, except for the cracked glass?
Looks great. Correct bezel for the dial. Everything to me looks as it should and genuine. Case looks unpolished with sharp edges. Good to go.

Edit: just noticed the chrono sweep doesn't align perfectly at 12. Just something to consider.

Last edited by borgsauce; 08-19-2019 at 09:53 AM.
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
Looks great. Correct bezel for the dial. Everything to me looks as it should and genuine. Case looks unpolished with sharp edges. Good to go.

Edit: just noticed the chrono sweep doesn't align perfectly at 12. Just something to consider.

Great, thanks! Yeah I noticed that, and also the bezel is not perfectly aligned at 12 o'clock, I hope it's not an AM.
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 732
Points: 33 (+)
Default

The bezel is genuine. Easiest way to tell is it to look at the 140 marking. The horizontal like in the 4 almost touches the 0.
I have not see that properly replicated on an AM Insert.
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
The bezel is genuine. Easiest way to tell is it to look at the 140 marking. The horizontal like in the 4 almost touches the 0.
I have not see that properly replicated on an AM Insert.

That's a really useful tip, thanks!
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,194
Points: 94 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
The bezel is genuine. Easiest way to tell is it to look at the 140 marking. The horizontal like in the 4 almost touches the 0.
I have not see that properly replicated on an AM Insert.
Yup I agree. Can you show a picture of the caseback and the crown?

Two sources in addition to the video from VTA above. There are a couple of 6139 buying guids on the forum and I just touched this one: https://www.thewatchsite.com/12-refe...ing-guide.html.

Also, KVW just did a rebuild of a blue Resist dial that is stunning. Look at this video and especially at 13:37 the finished product is excellent. You can see the original condition at the front of the video.
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatID View Post
Yup I agree. Can you show a picture of the caseback and the crown?

Two sources in addition to the video from VTA above. There are a couple of 6139 buying guids on the forum and I just touched this one: https://www.thewatchsite.com/12-refe...ing-guide.html.

Also, KVW just did a rebuild of a blue Resist dial that is stunning. Look at this video and especially at 13:37 the finished product is excellent. You can see the original condition at the front of the video.
FOR BW: Seiko 6139-6002 restoration - YouTube
Thanks for the links, that's great stuff!
I ordered the watch few days ago, it should arrive this week. It came from a German seller with 100 positive feedback, I have had only positive experience so far with sellers from Germany and Japan, so I went for this one even though photos were quite blurry. Here are the caseback and crown photos from the original listing (not the best photo quality)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caseback.jpg (74.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Crown.jpg (54.8 KB, 24 views)
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,194
Points: 94 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by !van View Post
Thanks for the links, that's great stuff!

I ordered the watch few days ago, it should arrive this week. It came from a German seller with 100 positive feedback, I have had only positive experience so far with sellers from Germany and Japan, so I went for this one even though photos were quite blurry. Here are the caseback and crown photos from the original listing (not the best photo quality)


These pictures look spot on. I think you have a winner. Let us know how it runs and looks when it comes in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 04:07 AM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatID View Post
These pictures look spot on. I think you have a winner. Let us know how it runs and looks when it comes in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Sir, now you definitely made my day! Will post some photos when it arrives! This will buy me some piece while searching for a yellow one
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #44 (permalink)
Moderator
 
TheTigerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 27,676
Points: 589 (+)
Default

IMO some of the "Pogues" are easy to spot when they have after market parts but it is getting much more difficult as time goes by and even the knowledgeable 6139 guys get caught out some times now days, for instance I did a trade with a 6139 guy not so long back for a NOS Pepsi bezel which turned out to be fake which the knowledgeable guy hadent noticed, scary
__________________


It's nothing to do with what you need it's what you want !!


TheTigerUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,194
Points: 94 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
IMO some of the "Pogues" are easy to spot when they have after market parts but it is getting much more difficult as time goes by and even the knowledgeable 6139 guys get caught out some times now days, for instance I did a trade with a 6139 guy not so long back for a NOS Pepsi bezel which turned out to be fake which the knowledgeable guy hadent noticed, scary


I agree Sir Tiger. The AM components are getting very tough to spot in this digital age. I’ve often thought of developing some sort of AI method to spot non-original parts, I could make a fortune with the Rolex crowd. But the blue “Pogue” are the most honest out there. I haven’t seen nearly as much fakery with them. To your point though I won’t even consider a silver dial unless I know the owner or it’s coming from an estate in original condition. The AM dials are too hard to spot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

So I picked It up today. It looks like it took it's share of beating during the years, the crystal is in terrible condition, but overall decent condition for a 48 year old I guess. The bracelet is am, will change it for sure because it fits terribly on the top end and will surely scratch the case. The watch seems to be loosing a lot of time, will check it tomorrow but looks like It will need a service as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6139.jpg (208.7 KB, 29 views)
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 732
Points: 33 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by !van View Post
So I picked It up today. It looks like it took it's share of beating during the years, the crystal is in terrible condition, but overall decent condition for a 48 year old I guess. The bracelet is am, will change it for sure because it fits terribly on the top end and will surely scratch the case. The watch seems to be loosing a lot of time, will check it tomorrow but looks like It will need a service as well...
That looks great Ivan. Well done! What do you mean by the top end of the bracelet scratching the case? Are you concerned about the endlink or the one before it?
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 60
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
That looks great Ivan. Well done! What do you mean by the top end of the bracelet scratching the case? Are you concerned about the endlink or the one before it?
Thanks I am really happy to finally have one! Can't wait to get it in shape!
It's both the endlink and the first link that I am concerned about. While the endlink that can be seen on the photo fits right between the lugs and sits firmly, the one on the other side doesn't fit well and sits on top of the lugs. Also first links seem to be rubbing against the lugs. Honestly I like the bracelet, I don't know which of the am ones is it but it looks good and wears nicely, but I am afraid it might damage the case in time.
!van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 732
Points: 33 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by !van View Post
Thanks I am really happy to finally have one! Can't wait to get it in shape!

It's both the endlink and the first link that I am concerned about. While the endlink that can be seen on the photo fits right between the lugs and sits firmly, the one on the other side doesn't fit well and sits on top of the lugs. Also first links seem to be rubbing against the lugs. Honestly I like the bracelet, I don't know which of the am ones is it but it looks good and wears nicely, but I am afraid it might damage the case in time.
What I would do is take off the endlink and squeeze it abit. And maybe getting a slimmer springbar might help with increasing the gap between the last link and lug.
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,194
Points: 94 (+)
Default

That is a great candidate for a service. With a new crystal and a cleanup on the case it will look great. Maybe get an Uncle Seiko bracelet too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.