Passing On... - Page 2 - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Pippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Berkshire, England
Posts: 1,667
Points: 101 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyJ View Post
I reckon in the next few years there will be a scientific breakthrough for anti aging.


Ahem, I think you’ll find AM parts being installed to keep aging relics going is frowned on in these parts Guy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-11-2019, 07:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,704
Points: 39 (+)
Default

I mentioned to my eldest recently (also the most level headed of my 3 sons) that maybe the watches might be worth more than his Mom thinks they are. I gave him the name of the folder on my laptop where the actual cost of each is recorded, and that any model with 3 of it in the watch box is intended for he and his 2 brothers to each have a copy of, and the other they'll need to decide what to do with.
3Pedals_6Speeds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 874
Points: 65 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Pedals_6Speeds View Post
I mentioned to my eldest recently (also the most level headed of my 3 sons) that maybe the watches might be worth more than his Mom thinks they are. I gave him the name of the folder on my laptop where the actual cost of each is recorded, and that any model with 3 of it in the watch box is intended for he and his 2 brothers to each have a copy of, and the other they'll need to decide what to do with.
Great discussion all. And I busted out laughing at several. I've always been attracted to British humor and you get a lot here. "Bury me face down..."

I like the combo of this reply and add to it the contact info of some good Seiko watchsmiths who will hopefully still be alive as someone else mentioned.

And still no granddaughter... I'm off to bed.
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-12-2019, 12:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mwadner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Metro Seattle
Posts: 6,259
Points: 356 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiko Shepherd View Post
Damn it Kenny... don’t make me start to tear up and you aren’t going anywhere... I won’t let you.
+1 definitely to that !!!
__________________
There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth …. (from "The International")
mwadner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following Member Awarded A Point to mwadner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
"The Prospector"
 
vynster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colchester Essex England
Posts: 3,702
Points: 190 (+)
Default

God i hope not, i wouldn't wanna go through this life yet again ! i'm being cremated, as i have a morbid fear of being buried and not being dead, i would specify to be buried with my mobile just in case, only knowing my luck i wouldn't get a signal ! Reminds me I must buy an Invicta watch before I die, that can definitely go to a Charity store with no quarms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyJ View Post
You all sound like my dad!

Jerry that made me chuckle.

Anyway hope you all don't die yet....!!. I reckon in the next few years there will be a scientific breakthrough for anti aging. Trouble is you will have to sell all your watches to afford it.

Last edited by vynster; 08-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.
vynster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Katgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 953
Points: 113 (+)
Default

I have 4 children and 10 grandchildren( and counting), so plenty of people to leave my watches to. I have been giving the kids watches for awhile now. None of them have my level of interest, but they all appreciate the looks and quality of the watches they have already received. Something to make them think of Mom, after I am gone. A rather sobering thought.
Katgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
CombatID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 874
Points: 65 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgirl View Post
I have 4 children and 10 grandchildren( and counting), so plenty of people to leave my watches to. I have been giving the kids watches for awhile now. None of them have my level of interest, but they all appreciate the looks and quality of the watches they have already received. Something to make them think of Mom, after I am gone. A rather sobering thought.
Yes - my oldest (who is having the daughter) just got my go-to Citizen caliber 2100 EcoDrive this last weekend. Before that my youngest got my Tissot PRC-200 chrono when he graduated from Purdue.

Both were quartz which are perfect for their lifestyles. I don't think that either one would know how to work a mechanical watch...
__________________
Collector of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Hamilton, Omega...
"What do you care about what other people think" - Richard P. Feynman
Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
CombatID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Katgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 953
Points: 113 (+)
Default Passing On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatID View Post
Yes - my oldest (who is having the daughter) just got my go-to Citizen caliber 2100 EcoDrive this last weekend. Before that my youngest got my Tissot PRC-200 chrono when he graduated from Purdue.



Both were quartz which are perfect for their lifestyles. I don't think that either one would know how to work a mechanical watch...


Sure they would. It is not rocket science! I gave Ian a vintage Rolex when he graduated from college. He just told me this morning that it got damaged (the bracelet and crystal when he shipped his belongings to Japan), where he is stationed in the USAF. He said he noticed a Rolex store in Tokyo. I told him to take it there to have it repaired and serviced. It is a 1958 Oyster Perpetual. I told him to tell them to leave the dial and hands untouched, and do whatever else they see fit, including repairing the bracelet. The repair will be my Christmas gift to him. He loves that watch. He will be in charge of dispersing my collection, after I am gone.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Katgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Reflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 4,369
Points: 76 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgirl View Post
Sure they would. It is not rocket science! I gave Ian a vintage Rolex when he graduated from college. He just told me this morning that it got damaged (the bracelet and crystal when he shipped his belongings to Japan), where he is stationed in the USAF. He said he noticed a Rolex store in Tokyo. I told him to take it there to have it repaired and serviced. It is a 1958 Oyster Perpetual. I told him to tell them to leave the dial and hands untouched, and do whatever else they see fit, including repairing the bracelet. The repair will be my Christmas gift to him. He loves that watch. He will be in charge of dispersing my collection, after I am gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The things we don't (or do) do for our kids! Never stop being a parent
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Katgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 953
Points: 113 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
The things we don't (or do) do for our kids! Never stop being a parent


So true!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Katgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
Moderator
 
TheTigerUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 27,360
Points: 550 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgirl View Post
I have 4 children and 10 grandchildren( and counting), so plenty of people to leave my watches to. I have been giving the kids watches for awhile now. None of them have my level of interest, but they all appreciate the looks and quality of the watches they have already received. Something to make them think of Mom, after I am gone. A rather sobering thought.
Seems like we where both pretty active Kat, I have 5 kids, 10 grand kids, I great grand son but knowing my grand kids they will want my iphone/iPad rather than watches

My son has already asked my wife if he can have first dibs of my watches when I snuff it, got to love him

I have told him I always wear my best one so to get that one, if I get any warning of my passing I will swap it out for a cheap Casio
__________________

"You haven't failed until you quit trying"

"You don't make mistakes, mistakes make you "
TheTigerUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
59yukon01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 3,738
Points: 147 (+)
Default

By the time I get that old I'm sure I'll be bored enough with watches to the point I'll have only one, so it won't really matter to me anyway.
__________________


David
59yukon01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.