Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Ė Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading

Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Ė Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading (https://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php)
-   THE JAPANESE WATCH DISCUSSION FORUM (https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/)
-   -   Not a Seiko (https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/331453-not-seiko.html)

vynster 08-08-2019 09:29 AM

Not a Seiko
 
4 Attachment(s)
My Time Factors Smith 'Everest' arrived yesterday. As it isn't a Seiko, Mod please feel free to move it to the correct forum, thank you.

First impressions, it is quite a hefy watch for it's 36mm size, the lugs are drilled, making it easy to change the bracelet to a NATO or some other strap, should this option be prefered. The lug width is 20mm.

The wrist bracelet adjustments can be completed by means of the the screw in pins, which even I did in seconds, unlike the collar and pin arrangement currently favoured by Seiko, which I tend to find a bit of a mission to do, then again maybe it is just me :)

The bracelet is of solid link construction, with solid end links, which accounts for the weight in some respects.

The case houses a Miyota 9015 movement, a Citizen derived movement, running at 28,800 BPH. the crown is of the screw down variety. The stated power reserve is 41 hours, also it sports a domed sapphire crystal with an AR coating, the lume is by way of SuperLuminova C3, and from going outside on a sunny day today, into the local Natural History museum with very low lighting the lume is excellent.

My only gripe, if you can call it that, is the kin great clasp with adjustment to go over a diving suit, this when the watch only has a water resistance of 100
Meters.

I wore this watch for the first time today and I am very impressed overall with the feel and quality of this watch at this price point.

I've been on here a while and this is my first sort of review, so please bear with me guys. Thks.
A few of my pics attached.

Mark Q 08-08-2019 09:38 AM

Very nice sir.

chenpofu 08-08-2019 09:39 AM

Thank you for posting this. I have been eyeing this for a while. Quick question, does this has a no-date Miyota or is there a phantom crown position?

vynster 08-08-2019 09:39 AM

Thank you sir. ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Q (Post 2806779)
Very nice sir.


vynster 08-08-2019 09:44 AM

You are welcome, and in answer to your question, Yes it does have a phantom crown position, as when you unscrew the crown and pull the stem to the 'first click' nothing happens, when you then continue to the 'second click' the movement hacks and the hands can be adjusted. I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Vyn.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chenpofu (Post 2806781)
Thank you for posting this. I have been eyeing this for a while. Quick question, does this has a no-date Miyota or is there a phantom crown position?


toxicavenger 08-08-2019 09:56 AM

Cool looking watch. That bracelet looks like it was made for a bigger version though. It would look more balanced with a tapered one.

Enjoy it.

vynster 08-08-2019 09:59 AM

Thank you, i'm thinking of a NATO
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicavenger (Post 2806797)
Cool looking watch. That bracelet looks like it was made for a bigger version though. It would look more balanced with a tapered one.

Enjoy it.


TheNeilo1 08-08-2019 10:03 AM

Mr Diesel,Top of the Pops Sir👍
Great Review and yes I like it.
I do agree the Bracelet looks a Bit too Chunky for the Watch Size but Iím Sure your sorting that.
Iíve never been into NATOís Vyn as I prefer Zulus with Black Metal Hardware.
👍⌚️👏👏👏👏

vynster 08-08-2019 10:08 AM

Thank you very much kind sir ! Could be a Zulu diver or one of U.S's fine bracelets, maybe a BOR?
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNeilo1 (Post 2806809)
Mr Diesel,Top of the Pops Sir👍
Great Review and yes I like it.
I do agree the Bracelet looks a Bit too Chunky for the Watch Size but Iím Sure your sorting that.
Iíve never been into NATOís Vyn as I prefer Zulus with Black Metal Hardware.
👍⌚️👏👏👏👏


TheTigerUK 08-08-2019 10:13 AM

Looks really nice Jack, you are building up a real nice quality collection, retirement is helping as your more relaxed :)

vynster 08-08-2019 10:20 AM

Thank you very much indeed Nathan and thank you for the compliment, means a lot coming from someone who has a top class collection!
And yes working at my job full time was very stressful, as it is with with most folks, first they want their pound of flesh then two pounds of flesh, then the whole bloody carcass!! ;):rolleyes: Now 2 days a week, gives me more 'me' time and allows me to be more discerning and the money allows me to continue buying the watches I like. So happy days ! :grin:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTigerUK (Post 2806819)
Looks really nice Jack, you are building up a real nice quality collection, retirement is helping as your more relaxed :)


Leffemonster 08-08-2019 04:11 PM

Nice review Vyn! Good looking piece as well, but not too sure that clasp is really in keeping with the rest of it - thatís designed for a more substantial watch IMHO.

I like the simplicity of it - uncluttered, classic and simple. Great pickup.

CombatID 08-08-2019 04:59 PM

A true rendering of my favorite Smiths device. [emoji4]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...10dd7e36b4.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vynster 08-09-2019 03:02 AM

Thank you Leffe;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leffemonster (Post 2807019)
Nice review Vyn! Good looking piece as well, but not too sure that clasp is really in keeping with the rest of it - thatís designed for a more substantial watch IMHO.

I like the simplicity of it - uncluttered, classic and simple. Great pickup.


vynster 08-09-2019 03:03 AM

Thank you :grin:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CombatID (Post 2807045)
A true rendering of my favorite Smiths device. [emoji4]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...10dd7e36b4.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


850champion 08-09-2019 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vynster (Post 2806787)
You are welcome, and in answer to your question, Yes it does have a phantom crown position, as when you unscrew the crown and pull the stem to the 'first click' nothing happens, when you then continue to the 'second click' the movement hacks and the hands can be adjusted. I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Vyn.

Guys,

Anyone know the reason why some movements would have the phantom position described by vyn above? I think if it does nothing why would they have done it

chenpofu 08-09-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 850champion (Post 2807257)
Guys,

Anyone know the reason why some movements would have the phantom position described by vyn above? I think if it does nothing why would they have done it

Because often smaller brands would source a movement with date but use it in a watch with a no date dial as done here (9015 has date). Some watchmakers modify the movement to remove the date wheel, some don't. So while it doesn't look like it is doing anything, you could be turning the date wheel in that 1st position.

reklawg 08-11-2019 10:11 AM

Looks very well on you Vyn.

As you say, that clasp does seem to overwhelm things slightly. Well, a lot really :(

I'm a member across at TZ-UK as well and I believe the Everest is going to be sold on a rivet style oyster that tapers to 16mm in future.

Get the bracelet off and get it on a nice Perlon for the summer :)

vynster 08-11-2019 10:14 AM

Thank you Graham, i read that too :) looking at straps as i type.

John_D 08-11-2019 04:29 PM

Nice looking watch Vyn, though it's link to 1953 and the accent of Everest is to say the least tenuous and given the rivalry at the time between Smith's and Rolex about who's watch actually got to the summit, it's very 'Rolex' appearance will probably have the management and workers of Smith's at the time spinning in their graves......

Johnny_E 08-11-2019 11:30 PM

I had a 40mm Everest. The clasp was too big for my liking. I put the watch straight onto a vintage style brown leather. They were a perfect match. I'll see if I have pics tomorrow and will post them here if you'd like to see it.

Katgirl 08-12-2019 01:48 AM

I almost bought one of these. I believe they have 2 different sizes available. The smaller one would be perfect for me. I have a fondness for military inspired watches. Congrats!. Timefactors makes a quality watch.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

vynster 08-12-2019 03:31 AM

Thks John,Yes a very tenuous link as you rightly say, I have read quite a bit on the subject.
https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/mount-everest-watches/
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_D (Post 2808509)
Nice looking watch Vyn, though it's link to 1953 and the accent of Everest is to say the least tenuous and given the rivalry at the time between Smith's and Rolex about who's watch actually got to the summit, it's very 'Rolex' appearance will probably have the management and workers of Smith's at the time spinning in their graves......


vynster 08-12-2019 03:32 AM

Hi Johnny thks very much, it would be most helpful if you are able too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_E (Post 2808651)
I had a 40mm Everest. The clasp was too big for my liking. I put the watch straight onto a vintage style brown leather. They were a perfect match. I'll see if I have pics tomorrow and will post them here if you'd like to see it.


vynster 08-12-2019 03:35 AM

Yes you are correct, a 36mm and a 40mm i believe, the one in the pic is 36 mm
the 36mm watch is more in keeping with watch sizes in that era though Circa 1953.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katgirl (Post 2808699)
I almost bought one of these. I believe they have 2 different sizes available. The smaller one would be perfect for me. I have a fondness for military inspired watches. Congrats!. Timefactors makes a quality watch.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.